Power Windows are messed up.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JimCurtis

Power Windows are messed up.

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 4:45 pm

This is a new bug that was introduced at some point in version 18.

I have to blur logos in my projects. I use Power Windows, tracking, and Gaussian Blur. I can get the tracking to work on my Power Windows, but something I'm seeing happen a lot is after I drop a blur onto the node, I see no effect from the blur. The only way I've found to get it to blur is to either relaunch Resolve, or (faster) Revert to the previous saved version. I'm having to do this on about every third or fourth instance of adding a blur to a Power Window - meaning, I'm having to Revert or Relaunch about every five to ten minutes while I'm blurring logos in the Color Page.

Another issue I'm seeing is after doing a track BACKWARDS on a Power Window, the shape attached to the track has just disappeared from the clip in the first three or four frames. Relaunch or Revert doesn't fix this. My workaround so far is just to do a separate node and track for those three or four frames.

Again, this is new behavior I hadn't experienced prior to, say, a month ago. So, I think this started with one of the last two or three Resolve updates.

Version info below.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 12.7.4 • Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Marc Wielage

Re: Power Windows are messed up.

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 8:13 am

Hey! I have the exact same machine you do -- congratulations! (But we're using G-Speed TB3 Shuttle RAIDs.)

I have not seen the power window tracking problem, and I probably did 100 of them today. That doesn't mean you're wrong -- it's just not happening on our system.

Stupid workaround: what if you drop the Gaussian Blur on the node, and then turn on a Power Window afterwards? What if you used a different kind of Blur? This could be some weird OFX glitch, and I've seen issues where a node gets garbled, you have to reset it, then drop the OFX plug-in back in and then it suddenly starts working. But it's very intermittent.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

JimCurtis

Re: Power Windows are messed up.

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 pm

Marc, I have a colleague who does my color work - a big reason I switched from Premiere. He also has the same MacPro7,1 computer, but with two GPUs. He has issues with shapes disappearing in Power Windows, too. BTW, we're seeing other new issues related to trading DRTs that weren't in earlier Resolve versions either.

I've seen other weirdness, as well. I drew shapes to blur logos on a phone screen, and after using Frame to make adjustments to the mask, the blur will manifest beyond the boundaries of a mask that is traveling. Revert fixed it.

Also, when putting the Tracker in Clip mode, and then going back to the Power Window pane to add feathering, what I do there doesn't always affect the feathering on the whole clip duration. If I turn all parameters to zero, I go back to the Track tab, and some of my masks are still feathered.

Deleting the node, and starting over is the best way to fix it.

Thanks for your input.
MacPro7,1 - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - 256G RAM - AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB • ATTO PCIe SAS SCSI RAID6 (8 drives) • OS 12.7.4 • Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve