Inserting clips to timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vbthedog

Inserting clips to timeline

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 am

I am mystified. Why is it when I place the cursor on a completely clear section of the timeline and choose Overwrite for a clip to be placed on the timeline, it doesn't place it where the cursor is, but somewhere seemingly random inside previously placed clips?

I have tested this on new timelines adding tracks and clips progressibvely and it behaves.

GalinMcMahon

Re: Inserting clips to timeline

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 6:04 pm

I'm confused. You're telling Resolve to overwrite a clip where there is no clip? What action are you expecting? I'm guessing it is overwriting the highlighted clip. Is there a reason you're not using the insert or append to end command? Personally, I mapped the insert function to my keyboard's insert key and it works very well.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 11:49 pm

Priority here is:

1. In point
2. Playhead

Hitting Alt+x will remove the In/Out points from your timeline, allowing the playhead to work as desired.

(On a side note, you "import" media into the project. You just "add" them to a timeline.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

vbthedog

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 2:00 am

Thanks both. I was mistakenly thinking Insert included Ripple which I don't want. On the same note, I assume there is no "Insert" key on the Speed Editor?

Return to DaVinci Resolve