Color correct only a portion of a clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Art101Design

Color correct only a portion of a clip?

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:01 pm

Greetings and thanks in advance for replies to my first post. If this is covered elsewhere, please point me to an appropriate thread.

I'm new to Da Vinci Resolve 18.1.14, but experienced with other pro video editors.

A 4K stock clip purchased from iStock needs subtle color correction in a specific area — not the entire scene. I need to deemphasize a slight lens flare red shift on the original footage. Ideally, the area to be corrected can have a feathered or soft edge so that the correction blends in seamlessly.

Any tips? I'm studying chapter 122 in the user guide, but can't seem to find a solution. Maybe I'm just exhausted from a crazy production schedule... heh. Thanks again.
iMac Retina 5K, 27inch, 3.1 GHz 6-core Intel Core 15, macOS Ventura 13.0.
Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB graphics, 24 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory, 1.03 TB storage.

Uli Plank

Re: Color correct only a portion of a clip?

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 3:37 am

Color grading in DR can be keyframed here:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-30 um 10.36.56.png
Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-30 um 10.36.56.png (127.87 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 4:37 am

Art101Design wrote:A 4K stock clip purchased from iStock needs subtle color correction in a specific area — not the entire scene. I need to deemphasize a slight lens flare red shift on the original footage. Ideally, the area to be corrected can have a feathered or soft edge so that the correction blends in seamlessly.

Can you post a still of the shot? We might be able to give you some specific advice.

If just the red is bothering you, then I'd consider maybe a soft power window and a Red secondary curve, and then knock it down just in that area. Then you could also use keyframes to help bring the correction in or out as needed, if the rest of the shot is OK.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Art101Design

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 pm

lensflare-mountains.png
lensflare-mountains.png (825.23 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Marc Wielage wrote:
Art101Design wrote:If just the red is bothering you, then I'd consider maybe a soft power window and a Red secondary curve, and then knock it down just in that area. Then you could also use keyframes to help bring the correction in or out as needed, if the rest of the shot is OK.

Thanks Marc!

Here's a reduced screen shot. Problem area is roughly oval shaped to the left of the yellow arrow I added... base of the tall mountain, mostly on the smaller right peak.

Meanwhile, I'll work with your suggestion and report back. The rest of this drone shot is fine... it's an ultra slow zoom toward the building, about 15 seconds.

Sam Steti

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 1:27 pm

Hey

Ideally, I'd immediately try to do as Marc wrote, thus us a power window to get the right selection back and softly modify its grade... This would allow the soft edge finesse (inside or outside or both).
Now, as you write about a lens flare, this may be tricky to get the selection back (I mean, of the flares and its components only), so depending on what's shot in its BG, I'd probably also try to use a luma keyer to kind of get back the lens flares area only...

Edit : Aaahhh, didn't see you screenshot when I wrote.
It looks like it will be easy enough at the end of the day. Even an rough power windows inside which you use an HSL eyedropper should let you get your selection.
Last edited by Sam Steti on Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm

If I understand the question, this is called a Secondary Correction.

It is covered in the Beginner's Guide.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Art101Design

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 2:11 pm

Thanks much Sam and Jim!

Since I'm a newbie on this forum, my Posts still need to be approved by an admin — so there's a reply delay. I'll work the issue and post back. Appreciate your replies.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:00 am

If I understand what you want, you want to remove the red tint of the right side of the mountain and make it all look more like stone? Something like this:

For me, this required a hand-drawn mask just over that specific area, plus a soft qualification of that specific color and grayscale value, then knocking down the saturation and the gain a little bit. I think it's close enough for government work, but it would work better with a much higher-quality still, since we'd have greater size and more bit-depth to work with.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Art101Design

PostTue Apr 25, 2023 6:11 pm

Just a quick note to thank everyone for your tips and comments. Here's the finished video...

Return to DaVinci Resolve