Audio starts playing back later than video

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vbunge

Audio starts playing back later than video

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 pm

When I click "play" on the timeline in Edit page the video starts playing immediately but the audio starts around 2 secs later. When it plays, it is on sync with the image, it is not a sync problem. It is just that audio starts playing back later than video.
This is very frustrating because it makes it difficult to make accurate cuts. However it does not happen in all timelines. I was having this issue with a particular timeline and I found out that if I copied all the clips to a new timeline on the same project, video and audio started playing at them same time, so no issue on this second timeline. As far as I can see both timelines have the same exact settings.
However if I duplicate the timeline with the issue, the duplicated timeline also has the issue, which makes me think that it must be something related to the Timeline settings or so, and not related to the footage.
Did anyone came accross this before?

I'm using DaVinci Resolve 18.1.4 on a MacBook Pro 2017 with macOS Ventura 13.2.1. Audio plays on the computer.
Videos are 1920x1080, QuickTime, H.264 High L5.1, ACC, FPS 59.94.
Timeline is 1920x1080, 30 FPS.
It happens when using either original footage or proxies, full resolution or 1/4 resolution, FX and Color enabled or disabled.
I can't reproduce the issue on Fairlight page. Video and audio play correctly there.

Uli Plank

Re: Audio starts playing back later than video

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 3:02 am

That MacBook might be a bit weak for DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

vbunge

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:42 pm

Thanks for your reply! I know my MacBook needs an upgrade. But still... I'm not having the issue in every timeline. In fact, as I was saying, if I copy all the clips from the problematic timeline to a new one on the same project, I don't get that audio delay. So my guest is that it's a software and not a hardware issue.
I found other people reporting this same issue in other forums and on previous versions of DR, but no solution so far.

Alex Ermakov

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 2:17 pm

vbunge wrote:Thanks for your reply! I know my MacBook needs an upgrade. But still... I'm not having the issue in every timeline. In fact, as I was saying, if I copy all the clips from the problematic timeline to a new one on the same project, I don't get that audio delay. So my guest is that it's a software and not a hardware issue.
I found other people reporting this same issue in other forums and on previous versions of DR, but no solution so far.

Hi, it might happen if the timeline settings and footage settings do not match, it can cause playback issues. Did you check your timeline settings, specifically the frame rate and audio sample rate? to make sure they match the settings of your footage.
Another version of reason is if the cache files can sometimes become corrupted and cause playback issues. The solution you can try is to clear the cache files and render cache in DaVinci Resolve.
You can also try disabling any audio or video effects on the timeline and see if that resolves the issue. Some effects can be resource-intensive and cause playback issues, so disabling them may help improve performance.
May be this would help )

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 4:56 pm

No, it's not a problem with your computer. It is a problem with Resolve. I encountered this all the time on my old computer and, frustratingly, I am still encountering this on my new computer. Specs in my signature. This is absolutely not a hardware issue. I've even tried to cache audio effects and that doesn't help. Very frustrating.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 2:27 am

I have started having audio playback issues recently and I never had them before. When I first press playback audio is lagging behind video. If I pause, roll back, and play again it starts to play fine. My system is anything but underpowered and like I said, I didn't have this problem ever before. So it sounds like a bug to me.

Return to DaVinci Resolve