Crashing on rendering with Resolve 18.1.4 Studio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Quadrapole

Crashing on rendering with Resolve 18.1.4 Studio

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 8:14 am

I have a 2 min project that I want to render with some 4K footage and some GoPro 5.3k footage.

I have a 3900X, 64 gb of ram and a 1080ti with 11 gb of ram.

I have noise reduction and speed warp (but not that much, just 3 frames, better) and everytime I render, resolve crashes to desktop.

I ended up having to render with my M1 macbook air (which took 3 hours for 2 min video...) but at least it finished rendering and didn't crash.

I think it has to do with the GPU memory being full, but how can a macbook air render it and not a 1080ti...?

I don't care about speed obviously, but I want it to finish rendering.

Any tips on what to do?

I've tried using the latest NVIDIA studio drivers, and the version previous and both crashes when I render.

I've also generated optimized media and rendering into DNxHR HQ to make it easier for resolve but it won't complete (even though it renders much faster than the mac air).

Obviously not happy as I bought the studio in hopes that there will be less crashes and faster editing...

Jim Simon

Re: Crashing on rendering with Resolve 18.1.4 Studio

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 2:42 pm

The FAQ has info on how to post crash logs so staff can taker a look, maybe figure out what the problem is.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 9:31 pm

The explanation lies in the unified memory of new Macs. If needed, the GPU cores can grab memory from the CPU and if that’s not enough, they can swap to the SSD. The latter is slow, but doesn’t crash. On the long run, it may ruin your SSD, though.
Nvidia GPUs, OTOH, hard crash when memory is used up.
Both of your processes are temporal and eating lots of VRAM. You can try doing NR first and exporting into a high quality codec, like DNxHR or Cineform. Bring that in and do the Speed Warp.
To check if VRAM is the issue, try to switch the timeline to HD. If that’s still crashing, something else is screwed up.
On the Mac, you can observe memory use with Apple’s Activity Monitor. On Windows, I found GPU-Z quite helpful.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 am

What Uli said. I too experienced few intermittent hard crashes recently when rendering clips that had noise reduction on them. Observing system during successful renders showed GPU memory was dangerously close to full. Same rendered fine when I would turn off noise reduction node and GPU memory consumption dropped to much lower level. My workaround was to encode using CPU rather than GPU so NVENC is not competing for resources with effects. Actually, in such setup CPU encoding ended up faster than GPU one. After this I am positive there will be both GPU with tons of memory and a Mac in my future (once I can afford them, hopefully).

Quadrapole

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 3:49 am

4EvrYng wrote:What Uli said. I too experienced few intermittent hard crashes recently when rendering clips that had noise reduction on them. Observing system during successful renders showed GPU memory was dangerously close to full. Same rendered fine when I would turn off noise reduction node and GPU memory consumption dropped to much lower level. My workaround was to encode using CPU rather than GPU so NVENC is not competing for resources with effects. Actually, in such setup CPU encoding ended up faster than GPU one. After this I am positive there will be both GPU with tons of memory and a Mac in my future (once I can afford them, hopefully).

How do you encode using CPU? I tried to because when I click render in place, my computer renders it just fine. It's just when I do the final render that it keeps crashing.

I don't see the option for CPU encode when I export in QuickTime DNxHR.

I know windows has virtual memory and paging files and it just seems disappointing that resolve is so poorly optimized for windows platform that a mac air can do what my desktop can't.

I have attached some of the crash logs. But I think there must be a bug with resolve because I recently just opened my old projects and they just started crashing to desktop without even rendering and I was just scrubbing around the time line at a quarter resolution of 4K footage and somehow I see my gpu memory spike up to 11gb and crashing resolve.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230331-214818.zip
(178.47 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230331-020555.zip
(176.86 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 6:00 pm

Quadrapole wrote:How do you encode using CPU? I tried to because when I click render in place, my computer renders it just fine. It's just when I do the final render that it keeps crashing.

I don't see the option for CPU encode when I export in QuickTime DNxHR.

I know windows has virtual memory and paging files and it just seems disappointing that resolve is so poorly optimized for windows platform that a mac air can do what my desktop can't.

I have attached some of the crash logs. But I think there must be a bug with resolve because I recently just opened my old projects and they just started crashing to desktop without even rendering and I was just scrubbing around the time line at a quarter resolution of 4K footage and somehow I see my gpu memory spike up to 11gb and crashing resolve.

I was talking about my exports, which are to MOV H.265. If you are exporting to DNxHR codec uses only CPU already (I believe).

Windows has virtual memory as a part of system memory BUT that memory is separate from GPU's memory so one can run out of GPU memory while having plenty of free system memory. On the other hand Apple's M* chips have what is called unified memory where GPU and CPU share system's memory. That is a difference in the designs of computer chips and has nothing to do with Resolve.

However, if you are now crashing with out of memory on projects that worked fine before bug is always possible so I would open a case with BMD and have them look at it. I hope you figure it out, I know how frustrating something not working can be.

LATTINO

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 4:55 pm

I have the same problem - and one more, deadline for delivery in 2 days.

ralfeisler

PostWed Apr 12, 2023 12:59 am

My projects crash with Spacial NR.

Return to DaVinci Resolve