And I thought premiere crashed a lot

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gethoC

And I thought premiere crashed a lot

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 1:10 pm

It's not been the greatest introduction to this software:

Resolve just pops out of existence when it crashes. Is this normal? Is it an indicator I have an issue somewhere, or do I just have to get used to it?

Spent a couple of days stabilising, deflickering, denoising and retiming footage. Most of it 6K open gate timelapse from jpg sequences. I really bought studio because I wanted to get into fusion. I've always thought after effects was junk, and I remember fusion from it's first time around in the 90's. Back then I was using a thing called effect by discreet logic, and boy I wish that hadn't died, it was terrific.

Anyhoo, if it's going to just vanish out of existence when I ask it to do something hard, I'll save my learning curve for something else. I would really love honest feedback about this. I'm no fan of premiere either, but after 4 years of using it solidly, I know its moods.

My setup:
win 11 22h2
13700k 64gb ddr5 rtx4080
footage on a raid

Steve Alexander

Re: And I thought premiere crashed a lot

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 1:56 pm

I think "knowing its moods" is something that applies to all software. If you look at the FAQs they describe how to capture a long and system info file, place them on a file sharing site and post a link here. Then BMD support team can tell you why Resolve is crashing. It may be something you can 'fix' either by changing your settings / driver or by a workflow change. I hope you can get to the bottom of this.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 2:31 pm

Your hardware is good. I would not expect Resolve to crash much.

Let's check setup. This is a dedicated editing system? Nothing extraneous installed like games, email, office, security, development, VM's, etc?

None of the hardware is overclocked?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 7:43 pm

This is how to post logs on Windows.
Attachments
Log and NFO Information.JPG
Log and NFO Information.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

evanfotis

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 6:43 am

Resolve does behave like this, better turn on automatic backups and also check when opening crashed projects by right clicking on them for latest version.
Due to its integration with with Fusion, it needs a more structured sequence of working, and going back and forth between pages like one would do in the Adobe world usually has unexpected unpleasant results.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 9:00 am

gethoC wrote:Most of it 6K open gate timelapse from jpg sequences.

Just my opinion: I think this is a problematic workflow because JPGs are already compressed, and it's stressing out the system to decode and play at normal speed and apply what ever color correction or processing you're trying to use. All that is going to be very stressful.

If it were me, I'd covert all that to something like DNxHR HQ (if it's 8-bit) or DNxHR HQX (if it's 10-bit), then use the transcoded DNxHR file for the project instead.

How does your RAID fare with the Blackmagic Disk Speed test? Are you running in 6K or 4K?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

gethoC

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 12:00 pm

thanks for replies,
I've been up against easter deadline, I'll test the hardware and post some logs when I have half a mo

Return to DaVinci Resolve