Using blade cut re-caches the clip... why?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

starchild237

Using blade cut re-caches the clip... why?

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:53 pm

I just switched from Premiere so still learning the ropes. I did a rough cut, then graded all my clips. I manually cached specific nodes which cause realtime playback fps to plummet (noise and dust). I want to do a finer edit being able to see the final grade with the noise.

I'm doing the finer edit in the Edit page. Everytime I use the blade tool, it has to re-cache the clip, and it completely destroys my flow. If I use the clip handles on the beginning or end, it doesn't re-cache it, but of course that limits what I can do in the edit alot. Very frustrating.

Is everything behaving as it should as I described it? Anything I can do to streamline this workflow? I know I can turn the noise off, but then I'd have to do that for every single clip which is also annoying. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Steve Alexander

Re: Using blade cut re-caches the clip... why?

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 8:37 pm

Sounds like it is behaving as expected (for Resolve). When you use the blade tool, you divide one clip into two and each clip then becomes independent from a grading perspective. This is probably why the cache is discarded and a new pair of caches created.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve