DX 12 Improvements - maybe important

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex Silva

DX 12 Improvements - maybe important

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 9:20 am

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... k-1-710-0/

DirectX 12 API Gets New GPU Upload Heaps & Non-Normalized Sampling Features In Agility SDK
Historically a GPU’s VRAM was inaccessible to the CPU, forcing programs to have to copy large amounts of data to the GPU via the PCI bus. Most modern GPUs have introduced VRAM resizable base address register (BAR) enabling Windows to manage the GPU VRAM in WDDM 2.0 or later.

With the VRAM being managed by Windows, D3D now exposes the heap memory access directly to the CPU! This allows both the CPU and GPU to directly access the memory simultaneously, removing the need to copy data from the CPU to the GPU increasing performance in certain scenarios.

Drivers

AMD: Developers interested in getting early access to DirectX Agility SDK-enabled AMD drivers supporting these features should contact their AMD alliance manager.

Intel: A driver with Intel support for these features can be found at: Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics Driver 31.0.101.4255

NVIDIA: NVIDIA’s latest Game Ready Drivers and NVIDIA Studio Drivers (version 531.41) offer support for both GPU Upload Heaps on Ampere and newer GPUs and Non-normalized Sampling on all GPUs. You can update to this driver version seamlessly through GeForce Experience or by downloading directly from NVIDIA.com.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: DX 12 Improvements - maybe important

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:57 pm

Hmmm… so now data doesn’t need to be copied, but it’s still accessed by PCI-E as there is no other physical link between CPU and GPU. This is different for Apple Mx where it’s all inter connected. Even PCI-E gen 4 is ‘only’ around 30Gbytes/sec.
Still very good news for apps like Resolve I assume.

mpetech

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Hmmm… so now data doesn’t need to be copied, but it’s still accessed by PCI-E as there is no other physical link between CPU and GPU. This is different for Apple Mx where it’s all inter connected. Even PCI-E gen 4 is ‘only’ around 30Gbytes/sec.
Still very good news for apps like Resolve I assume.

Resolve does not utilize DX as far as I know.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 3:34 pm

Then for apps which use it :) It's not really relevant to Resolve as you pointed.

Alex Silva

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 6:51 pm

But DX is now essential for Windows so think it might have some relevance.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 8:07 pm

I doubt Resolve touches DX.

mpetech

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 11:19 pm

Alex Silva wrote:But DX is now essential for Windows so think it might have some relevance.

Overwhelmingly, with video game and video game engines.

Alex Silva

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 6:47 am

Several 3D and CAD apps use DX. I am not sure if Resolve can do HDR, but HDR is all Windows and DX.

Return to DaVinci Resolve