Apple Macbook Pro M1 display - Rec709

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ryan Bloomer

Apple Macbook Pro M1 display - Rec709

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 6:56 pm

in reading a lot of information regarding the display of the M1 macbook pro, it's a bit confusing of where the shifts are happening and how to compensate for them.

How does the Rec 709-a tag work with an ACES workflow?

Does the "Display setting in Mac OS stay set to the Preset - Apple XDR Display(p3-1600 nits)?

Does MacOS just tease us with a setting in the display Preset for Rec709-BT.1886?

any help would be very helpful, thanks.

mickspixels

Re: Apple Macbook Pro M1 display - Rec709

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 10:54 pm

Ryan Bloomer wrote:
Does the "Display setting in Mac OS stay set to the Preset - Apple XDR Display(p3-1600 nits)?

Does MacOS just tease us with a setting in the display Preset for Rec709-BT.1886?

any help would be very helpful, thanks.

I can't answer your question about ACES as I use Resolve Color Management. In relation to the display settings, these are all controlled by the Display Prefs and how you set them so they stay set to whatever you set them to - app color settings have no effect.

In my experience, these presets are really useful for color managed grading with the following caveat. The factory settings need tweaking as they are not accurate for color and probably not for maximum brightness with the Rec709 setting which I find too dark on my machine - an early M1 Max so maybe things have changed by now. The specific color space presets cannot be changed manually but you can modify them in the Display Prefs and save as new presets without altering the originals. Unless things have changed recently, you would need a very expensive probe to calibrate the Apple XDR screens. I have just done this by eye, matching the color and brightness to my excellent calibrated external SDR monitor.

Just for completeness, HDR seems pretty accurate in terms of brightness to 1000 Nits far as I can see from the waveform scopes (also in FInal Cut Pro) as well as waveform scopes on the Ninja V. I can expose precisely and know exactly how far I can go in-camera without blowing out highlight detail. Again I needed to tweak the color to create my own HDR customs settings. I hasten to add that I am not hiring out my services before someone jumps down my throat telling me that it is impossible to grade HDR on an Apple XDR screen.

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 1:16 am

An Apple XDR screen is not too bad for grading HDR if you are not catering to large corporations and networks. Proper HDR monitoring is very expensive.

The problem for calibration lies in the new backlighting by small LEDs, for which most cheaper probes have no proper presets. See YT videos by ArtIsRight like

Regarding the flags for video, see this :

or read here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=101253
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Thanks for the resources guys, really appreciate it.

@mickspixels I agree the rec709 preset in early M1 Max seems a little dark, but I do feel like it gives a fairly accurate adjustment to gamma 2.4.

I'll keep exploring this, but I'm certainly more informed than I was before.

Return to DaVinci Resolve