Resolve monitoring EIZO CG2320 w/ Decklink 4K Mini Monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tb1182films

Resolve monitoring EIZO CG2320 w/ Decklink 4K Mini Monitor

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 2:53 am

Hi there,

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my EIZO monitor to properly display my Resolve footage. My exports also look very different from how they appear in the monitor while using Resolve. I'm having trouble narrowing down what the issue could be. Here's my current setup:

Resolve Studio 18.1.4
Timeline color science: DaVinci YRGB
Timeline color space: Rec. 709 Gamma 2.4
Output color space: Same as timeline (but using Rec 709-A gamma tag in exports since I'm on an iMac Pro 2018)

Reference monitor: EIZO CG2320, native color gamut, gamma 2.2, brightness 125 cd/m2 (looks really dark compared to my exports? Even at the max 400 cd/m2 my exports look way brighter and different).

Using Decklink 4K Mini Monitor inside Sonnet expansion chassis w/ HDMI connection to monitor and Thunderbolt connection to computer. Are there special settings in Resolve that I need to adjust?

Does anyone see the issue from this information? Is there something I need to generate in DisplayCAL to use as a 3D LUT for the EIZO? I'm new to this and it's all very confusing to me, so apologies in advance. If there's even some links or videos that walk you through, that'd be much appreciated. There just are so many variables that I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of the issue.

Jim Simon

Re: Resolve monitoring EIZO CG2320 w/ Decklink 4K Mini Monit

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 3:37 pm

The 2.2 gamma seems odd to me. Rec 709 specifies 2.4.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Paul Willis

Re: Resolve monitoring EIZO CG2320 w/ Decklink 4K Mini Monit

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 1:19 pm

How are you watching your exports? On the iMac Pro display? iMac Pro displays are totally untrustworthy. They're extremely over saturated and can go extremely bright. We have some iMac Pros in our facility and the images on them look wildly different next to a calibrated FSI monitor, so it can be difficult to trust what you're seeing. Sometimes I have wondered if the FSI is wrong, but it's just that my eyes had adjusted to the iMac.

Trying to calibrate the iMac with a probe doesn't usually help a great deal either as the colour management isn't good enough. I believe this is much improved on newer MacBooks but I don't think anything much can be done with the iMacs.

I believe you also need to set your Eizo colour mode to BT 709 and calibrate it using that profile in ColorNavigator. I'm not sure using 'native color gamut' is correct. The internal calibration with ColorNavigator ste to 709 2.4 should be good enough for now, I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole with DisplayCAL.

That said, your issue could also be related to the way you're exporting your files. Export ProRes422HQ, make sure you're exporting using 'Video' levels, import it into Resolve and check that it looks as it should do. That at least should rule out some issues with your exports. Also check that Data levels in the Video Monitoring settings is set to Video and not Full.
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Return to DaVinci Resolve