Font is clipped in subtitles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lennie

Font is clipped in subtitles

PostFri Apr 21, 2023 8:03 am

Hi,

I have a somewhat odd issue. I need to create a stylized subtitle track for a client. I need to be able to deliver it with burnt in captions and also as an srt file. The burnt in captions needs to be in the clients font.
Her is the problem, the font the client needs is cut of at the top. When turning on the background I can see that the font is placed to high up and is therefore cut. I tried a number of fonts, allot of them work but there are other cases where the font is placed to high resulting in the top beeing cut of, some fonts were also placed too low cutting of the bottom instead.
Helvetica Neue.png
Helvetica Neue.png (21.46 KiB) Viewed 501 times

All of the tested fonts place perfectly fine in every other software I have tried them, including Premiere Pro.

looking at the above image you can clearly see that the top of all letters are cut, it becomes especially troubling with the letters at the end, ÅÄÖ, that now looks identical to A and O.
I did find a hacky workaround, by adding a blank row above the text and altering the linespacing I can create the appearance of a centered text. This unfortunately does add a blank line in the SRT file as well... so not really a useable workaround as I need both.

This seems like a rather obvious bug but until that is fixed, is there any way to shift the placement of the text in the "invisible box" so it doesn't crop?

I'm working on a windows 11 machine in the studio version of Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9

juergkre

Re: Font is clipped in subtitles

PostMon Mar 04, 2024 2:57 pm

We have the same problem with our company font. It partlt fixed the issue, when adding a empty line before the subtitle.

das_rubbellos

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 1:41 pm

I have the same problem when using the font "Helvetice Neue Lt Std". and also with other fonts.
Some fonts work, but a lot are cropped.
It also seems like a bug to me.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:08 am

Juerg, Sebastian, windows 11 OS?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tomhorn

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 6:43 pm

Hi Peter,

I have the same issue. And yes, I'm working with Windows 11 Home 23H2 and DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.

When I'm using certain fonts, the top of the first line is always cropped in subtitles. The workaround with inserting an empty line before works only in Resolve itself. When I insert blank lines in the SRT file the content isn't displayed. So I had to insert manually a blank line in every single caption field which is very time-consuming for a 1-hour-film.

It seems that there is a wrong definition of the font's base and it's displayed slightly too high. If I insert the empty line it doesn't jump down a whole row but only a little piece so that the letters are displayed correctly.

So you know what causes this issue and how it could be solved?

Thanks and best,

Thomas

peterfox

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

+1 Same issue here!

Return to DaVinci Resolve