Before Updating to Resolve 18.5

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marc Wielage

Before Updating to Resolve 18.5

PostThu May 18, 2023 6:25 am

Read this before updating to 18.5. As a general rule, whenever moving to a new version number, back everything up in case you have to completely revert the boot drive back to the way it was. We've never had to do it, but... stuff happens.

Here are the steps I recommend for people upgrading Resolve (and this has held for several years):

1) launch your existing Resolve version and back up the Project Databases using the backup utility

2) export Keyboard Shortcuts

3) export all personal PowerGrades as DPX stills + DRX grades to specific folders (and LUTs if you must)

4) jot down Project Config and User settings (in case those don't make it over)

5) jot down Data Burn-In settings

6) jot down Custom Export settings on Deliver page

7) jot down custom Power Window presets

9) backup 3rd-party/custom LUTs

10) export all custom PowerGrades (with labeled stills) to a folder

11) de-install any 3rd-party OFX plug-ins (BorisFX, Sapphire, Dehancer, Beauty Box, Filmlook, Neat Video, etc.), and have the serial numbers ready when you install the new Resolve.

12) important: backup all current in-progress sessions as DRP files "just in case."

I think it never hurts to do a complete backup of your boot drive so you could theoretically do a full restore and go back to Resolve 18 if need be. It is possible to run both versions at the same time if you had separate boot drives, Resolve 18 on one and Resolve 18,5 on the other, and used separate Project Databases, but the setup is tricky (and critical). You can at least use the Project Database as long as you don't open up an old project, which will ask if you want to convert it (one-way only) to the new 18.5 format.

When you install Resolve 18.5, be aware that you may need to also update the Desktop Video driver, and you may need to update your GPU video drivers. As with any modern software, there's a chance your current hardware may not be enough to run 18. Check the ReadMe files and Documentation on Blackmagic's support website and make sure your CPU, available RAM, GPU, and drive speeds all meet their recommended hardware configuration specs. My opinion is that when it comes to Resolve, more and better hardware is generally a good idea.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

jallen0

Re: Before Updating to Resolve 18.5

PostThu May 18, 2023 11:14 am

Great post Marc, this should be a sticky.

I am wondering if you could add some detail on item #1 to your post. I see so many people truly not understand how to back up their databases, and even projects while they are working on them and when they are completed.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Ray Snell

PostThu May 18, 2023 11:53 am

Excellent post Marc, +1 for a sticky please.
Windows 10
i7-4790K@ 4.6Ghz
32GB 2400MHz Kingston DDR3
MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11Gb
Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - 2x 860 Evo 4Tb
Synology DS1821+ & 5x Ironwolf Pro 4Tb
Behringer UMC404HD, Audio Technica AT2035
Shure SM58, SM57, Beta52, SM7b

kfriis

PostThu May 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Wouldn’t it be nice, if DaVinci Resolve Studio had the following “Actions”:

1. Backup system state
Complete Studio system state, database, folder specs, settings everywhere etc.
Allow revolving versioning (i.e state0 to state9, restarting from start0 and onwards).
That would allow you to sort on save date/time giving access to the last 10 saved states.

2. Restore a selectable system state (of 10)
Complete restore of one of the above in a controlled and safe manner.
Transactional, meaning either replacement succeeds or the existing state is restored.
All restore attempts include full validity and version checks, before attempt.

3. Tool that allows you to check version and validity of a saved state.
A failed or incomplete state save is always a possibility.
HDD/SSD damage is also possible, as well as incomplete of damaged backups.
They are seldom, but I certainly wouldn’t want to start to roll back invalid states.
The side effect is, that if a backup contains invalid states, it’sprobably time to replace media.

Just my two cents.

You can Dream, can’t you?

Regards

thispostlife

PostWed May 22, 2024 9:04 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
3) export all personal PowerGrades as DPX stills + DRX grades to specific folders (and LUTs if you must).

How do you do this #3?

Return to DaVinci Resolve