Match Frame for Synced Audio?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cesar Tejada

Match Frame for Synced Audio?

PostSat May 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi!

When I sync audio from an external recorder into a video clip the in and out audio handles are limited to the video duration. Let's say I have important audio that wasn't recorded by the camera because they started rolling late and I want to find the audio that was captured before the camera started recording in the 3-hour wav file of the external recorder.

Is there an option in Resolve like match frame but for synced audio? That allows me to jump to the exact moment on the wav file where the camera and external recorder synced?
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-13700K 16 Cores
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Memory: Corsair DDR5 64GB
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

Jim Simon

Re: Match Frame for Synced Audio?

PostSat May 20, 2023 5:14 pm

There is not. At least not directly.

You might try adding the .wav file under the clip and syncing them up. This would show you visually what parts of that .wav are used in the clip, and which parts extend beyond.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cesar Tejada

PostSat May 20, 2023 8:30 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There is not. At least not directly.

You might try adding the .wav file under the clip and syncing them up. This would show you visually what parts of that .wav are used in the clip, and which parts extend beyond.

Oh, I see... Thanks, I think a feature called "Match to Synced Audio" would be a nice addition to Resolve.
That way, you can quickly jump to the part of the external recorder that's in sync with the video clip, and select some additional nearby audio snippets if needed.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-13700K 16 Cores
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
Memory: Corsair DDR5 64GB
MB: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI

pantau000

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 2:04 pm

Just to be sure: is it really impossible to match frame an audio channel of a synced clip on the timeline?

Neither disabling the other channels including the video, nor disabling the auto selection on the tracks allows me to find the corresponding audio clip of the synced channel.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:30 pm

Once you sync the audio to the video, it becomes 'part' of the video. Match Frame will only operate on the clip in the timeline.

In this context, the original audio is not in the timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pantau000

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 4:36 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Once you sync the audio to the video, it becomes 'part' of the video. Match Frame will only operate on the clip in the timeline.

In this context, the original audio is not in the timeline.

In my understanding it is, as I can even get the original's audio filename displayed on the linked clip on the timeline.

Without wanting to compare different programs, as far as I remember it was any easy task to do in Avid and Premiere: you just need to select the channel of the clip on the timeline to which you want "match frame" to apply.

Return to DaVinci Resolve