Audio not working with FX6 .MXF files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sappegap

Audio not working with FX6 .MXF files

PostWed May 24, 2023 11:25 am

Hi Everybody,

I am importing UHD FX6 - MXF. files in the timeline.
And together with the bug that audiowave forms are not showing up, (solution: give it some time to load them in)
I do get this strange bug that I play the timeline but I don't hear anything... I see the waveforms showing but, the mixer/meters are not working too.

So I basicly have to manualy pause the timeline and when I do continue with playing the audio sometimes gets back.
Till the moment I scroll, or switch pages, or land my indicator somewhere else in the timeline.

So I have to do this everytime, pausing and playing to sometimes out of the blue get the audio working?

Does anybody have a solution for it, working with MXF files?
Or some setting to render the audio? I have a feeling that might be the solution to all...

Let me know.
Davinci resolve 18.1.4 BUILD 9

Jim Simon

Re: Audio not working with FX6 .MXF files

PostWed May 24, 2023 2:00 pm

Can you share a clip for testing?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostWed May 24, 2023 4:38 pm

There have been a number of reports of failed audio playback with .mfx files when they're on the timeline (with some reports that they'll play without issue in the media pool), both Sony FX6 and 9, as well as some Canons.

I don't think it was ever solved. You could try rewrapping or recoding the audio to .wav. If you're not using Studio, that might also be at issue.

Sappegap

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Can you share a clip for testing?

I hope this will let you see the problem!
I cant attach a video file so here is a YT link;

Sappegap

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:59 pm

John Paines wrote:There have been a number of reports of failed audio playback with .mfx files when they're on the timeline (with some reports that they'll play without issue in the media pool), both Sony FX6 and 9, as well as some Canons.

I don't think it was ever solved. You could try rewrapping or recoding the audio to .wav. If you're not using Studio, that might also be at issue.

Aah so I am not the only one, was thinking about it haha.
Any news of BM if they gonna solve it in a new patch? Or busy with it to fix it?

Is there a simple way to do that? Would you do it like, just cut the audio and seperatly export it to .wav and re-attach it to the main video file??

Jim Simon

PostSat May 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Sorry Tiemen, I meant share one of the camera clips. Let us play with it, see what happens.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostSat May 27, 2023 2:51 pm

Sappegap wrote:Is there a simple way to do that? Would you do it like, just cut the audio and seperatly export it to .wav and re-attach it to the main video file??

The simple way is google "Shutter Encoder" (or similar utility) and download it. You'd want the "replace audio" option, and for the PCM conversion select whatever the original bit and sample rate is. How well it works with multi-tracks I don't know.

Sappegap

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:23 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Sorry Tiemen, I meant share one of the camera clips. Let us play with it, see what happens.

I'm sorry, but I can't share project clips with this project unfortunately...

Sappegap

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:25 pm

John Paines wrote:
Sappegap wrote:Is there a simple way to do that? Would you do it like, just cut the audio and seperatly export it to .wav and re-attach it to the main video file??

The simple way is google "Shutter Encoder" (or similar utility) and download it. You'd want the "replace audio" option, and for the PCM conversion select whatever the original bit and sample rate is. How well it works with multi-tracks I don't know.

Thanks for this option! I will give it a try. I have been able to edit some of the multi clip outputs already, but I have a view more. But I'll give this a try, because it could end up saving me so much time. So thanks

Jim Simon

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:37 pm

Sappegap wrote:I can't share project clips with this project unfortunately...
Got it.

If you own the camera, you could shoot some innocuous footage. Let us take a look at that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve