Converted GPR to JPG for a 4K DR project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andrew G

Converted GPR to JPG for a 4K DR project

PostWed May 24, 2023 11:59 am

So I've read about DR not yet supporting GPR file imports (unless something has happened, and I haven't updated my DR in a few months), but my issue goes a bit deeper. I'm working on a 4K project and yes, all my media is 4K. I converted a bunch of batch-edited files from GPR to jpg in darktable, and the files themselves look to be pretty good if I take a look at them versus the original GPR files (and they're actually larger than the GPR files as well, surprisingly).

I get onto DR and import these jpg files into a new 4K project, and the detail of all of these files is extremely diminished. I'm not even sure of where to start to try and fix these if I wanted to get them to play nicely with DR. From what I can see, it's retained most of the blacks and whites in the images, and the detail in the mid-range is almost non-existant. These are the same jpgs that have the identical detail as the GPR files outside of DR in any other jpg viewer.

I tried creating a new project just to see if something was a bit screwy with the last one, but the diminished quality is still there. I have over 1200 of these jpgs which I want to include, but no real idea of how to get this quality back.

Jim Simon

Re: Converted GPR to JPG for a 4K DR project

PostWed May 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Try converting a known bad image to PNG instead of JPEG. Report back.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andrew G

PostWed May 24, 2023 2:29 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Try converting a known bad image to PNG instead of JPEG. Report back.

There aren't any 'bad' images; everything I converted over to jpg is fine in its own right, it's just when DR sees it, the mid-range values are all wrong. I wanted to go to png before, but I canned and deleted the batch early on when I realised that each image is over 100mb when converted.

But, in the interest of discovery, I'll convert one over to png and see how DR plays with that.

Andrew G

PostWed May 24, 2023 3:54 pm

I converted one of the GPR files to png (8 bit this time, not the storage-munching 16 bit), and imported it into DR. Same results. Still unsure as to why.

I imported other RAW-based GoPro files before and DR had no issue with them. I can call up those same files now and put them into this project, and they won't have any trouble maintaining their detail. It seems to be just THESE files (no matter the quality and detail of the jpg/png output outside of DR); it's just DR is having a real issue with these particular files.

If I could directly import GPR files into DR then I could tell for sure if it's something about the RAW file nature or if it's something I've done in the picture edit.

*UPDATE: I've realised that DR is making the images too dark, not just mid-range. Doesn't matter what I'm doing to edit them to correct DR's imbalance. In fact, I threw out all of the editing in a few of the photos, tried converting the base RAW/GPR files to png and jpg, and the same result. Looks great in any jpg viewer but doesn't hold the details in DR. Also, for the sake of being absolute and thorough, I converted one file to dng, and while the thumbnail of this file looked totally blown out and oversaturated, darktable seemed to bring it back into line. However, DR did the same as the other files with this dng file... too dark and almost no mid-range.

I've never had to manipulate any of my other jpg files to get DR to display them properly, so I'm kind of stuck.

Not really sure where to go right now...

Uli Plank

PostThu May 25, 2023 2:29 am

Could this be an error regarding full range vs video range?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Mads Johansen

PostThu May 25, 2023 2:47 am

What happens if you convert to dng instead?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 Build 7, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Andrew G

PostThu May 25, 2023 5:37 am

Mads Johansen wrote:What happens if you convert to dng instead?

Andrew G wrote:Also, for the sake of being absolute and thorough, I converted one file to dng, and while the thumbnail of this file looked totally blown out and oversaturated, darktable seemed to bring it back into line. However, DR did the same as the other files with this dng file... too dark and almost no mid-range.

^ this.

Andrew G

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:10 am

Uli Plank wrote:Could this be an error regarding full range vs video range?

Not quite sure what you mean by this - I'm not exactly a dab-hand when it comes to DR (not yet anyway). Still muddling my way through most of it, and making sense of what I can.

The only thing I can make sense of is that the same 4K footage I recorded about this time last year was put into a 1080p project. Now I put this new footage into a 4K project and most of the detail is lost. I'm wondering if encoding or something in the settings is having an effect on how DR handles the new footage.

Andrew G

PostThu May 25, 2023 7:38 pm

I went back to basics and switched over monitors. All the detail is there in the DR project as well as the jpg viewer, so I'm thinking the monitor's colour gamut isn't suitable for DR projects (esp. when it comes to night sky shooting / astrophotography).

Sometimes the best troubleshooting methods are the simplest processes of deduction. :roll:

Jim Simon

PostThu May 25, 2023 10:45 pm

Andrew G wrote:the monitor's colour gamut isn't suitable for DR projects

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ZRGARDNE

PostFri May 26, 2023 11:57 am

Mads Johansen wrote:What happens if you convert to dng instead?

This is my suggestion as well. The adobe DNG converter is free and will do them en-masse.

Return to DaVinci Resolve