Replacing Clips with Transitions / Dissolves On Them

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

LucasBelkind

Replacing Clips with Transitions / Dissolves On Them

PostWed May 24, 2023 7:04 pm

I know how to replace a clip with another clip in the editing pane, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so without removing any transitions (like dissolves) from the original clip. Other NLEs have the ability to do this by either stepping in (Avid Media Composer) or by allowing the transitions to remain on it (Premiere Pro). Any way to accomplish this in Resolve? Thanks!

LucasBelkind

Re: Replacing Clips with Transitions / Dissolves On Them

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:17 pm

I should say I was hoping there would be a way to option / alt drag the clip from the source viewer on to the existing clip in the timeline (like in Premiere) and retain any transitions on the timeline clip. If this isn't possible, I'm just wondering if everyone else deals with recreating transitions from scratch. Only thing I have found is that I can copy one transition at a time and paste it onto the clip I want to replace it with.

Steve Alexander

PostFri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm

I'm not seeing this. F11 takes the clip from the source viewer and replaces the clip in the timeline with transitions ore fade handles intact. This is with 18.5b3 under macOS Ventura 13.4.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Jim Simon

PostFri May 26, 2023 1:14 pm

I'm seeing the same as Steve. The Replace operation does not alter transitions.

Have you had a chance to go through the training for Resolve yet, Lucas? Many operations will be different in Resolve compared to other NLE's.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ning#books
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mike C.

PostTue May 30, 2023 11:49 pm

LucasBelkind wrote:I know how to replace a clip with another clip in the editing pane, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so without removing any transitions (like dissolves) from the original clip. Other NLEs have the ability to do this by either stepping in (Avid Media Composer) or by allowing the transitions to remain on it (Premiere Pro). Any way to accomplish this in Resolve? Thanks!

( Solved here, I think. ;) )

If you're coming from Avid, it is probably because you have in/outs selected in your timeline. In Resolve, you have to NOT have any in or out selected in your timeline for the replace to work right… otherwise Resolve sort of interprets it as an overwrite.

When you set In and Out points on the timeline in Resolve, you are defining a specific segment of the timeline that you wish to replace. This includes everything within those points - the clip, transitions, and any other elements. If you use the replace function within these in/out points, all of selected area and elements will be replaced by the new clip.

Without setting In and Out points, you are selecting the clip (specifically) for replacement, irrespective of its length. When you replace this clip, Resolve will substitute it with your new clip up until the end of the new clip, even if it is shorter. Any transitions attached to the original clip will be preserved, provided there are enough frames in the new clip to accommodate them.

LucasBelkind

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:05 pm

Not having ins and outs selected in the timeline allow the F11 / replace function to work while maintaining any transitions on the media being replaced. Coming from a different NLE (Avid Media Composer), I was running into the issue that Mike C. mentioned above (being used to having to select an in and out before replacing).

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:55 pm

This is where those training books come in handy, Lucas. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve