Fusion composition size changes when using proxies

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ikanotheokara

Fusion composition size changes when using proxies

PostFri May 26, 2023 4:19 am

I'm still relatively new to the Fusion tab, but recently I ran into an interesting quirk and I'm wondering if it's intended behavior (and if it is, why it would be).

I'm adding English translations to a scene, so I created Fusion Composition with a MedianIn1 node set to Background. I like doing this so my compositions can sit on a separate track from the original video.

The result looks perfect in playback:
FullProxy.jpg
Timeline preview with Proxy Resolution set to Full
FullProxy.jpg (123.91 KiB) Viewed 273 times

To speed things up a bit, I tried to change the timeline proxy resolution to Half, but doing that causes the playback to look like this:
HalfProxy.jpg
Timeline preview with Proxy Resolution set to Half
HalfProxy.jpg (129.18 KiB) Viewed 273 times

It would appear that Fusion is grabbing the clip for the MediaIn node at half-sized resolution and not compensating for that, making all the nodes appear double-sized in playback. This only affects playback, when exported it looks fine (of course, because it's not using the proxy).

I was pretty excited about the addition of "Background" as a Media Source in Fusion, but this behavior seems strange. I could stick a Resize node right after MediaIn to force it to the right size, but why should this be necessary? I feel like Fusion should automatically recognize that it's pulling from a proxy and adjust accordingly. Have I set things up wrong or is this working as intended?

Jim Simon

Re: Fusion composition size changes when using proxies

PostFri May 26, 2023 1:48 pm

I've seen enough reports of things going weird when using Timeline Proxy Resolution that I recommend you just...don't.

There are better ways to improve performance. Cache might be your best option here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ikanotheokara

Re: Fusion composition size changes when using proxies

PostTue May 30, 2023 12:53 am

Thank you, Jim. After reading more on the forums about Timeline Proxy Resolution, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Hopefully a future update makes it work more reliably, but until then I'll just have to use some workarounds when working with 4K footage. (My woefully under-spec work PC only just about manages smooth playback when editing with optimized 1080p footage)

Return to DaVinci Resolve