Davinci Resolve, Fusion tab: how to properly resize pictures

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dachiko

Davinci Resolve, Fusion tab: how to properly resize pictures

PostMon May 29, 2023 11:16 am

Full question: how to properly resize pictures so that they look the same no matter the timeline resolution?

There is a resize node, but it breaks aspect ratio no matter what.

It looks like desired effect could be achieved using Auto resolution and Change pixel aspect options (in the resize node), but it doesn't update aspect ratio when I change resolution of the timeline. If I disable and enable again Change pixel aspect option, it fixes the aspect ratio, but it's a manual process, and I'm looking for a way for Resolve to resize the picture automatically according to timeline resolution, without breaking the aspect ratio (which is different from the timeline aspect ratio).

I'm trying to edit in 1080p and change it to 4k before exporting, but I have to make all the pictures to look the same no matter the resolution first.

Sean Nelson

Re: Davinci Resolve, Fusion tab: how to properly resize pict

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:59 pm

I haven't ever tried to do this, but it might be helpful to start with the assumption that Fusion works best at a fixed aspect ratio. Therefore, I'd work in a Fusion composition that has enough vertical and horizontal resolution to cover all of the eventual output formats I want to produce. So if you want to be able to export HD footage in vertical (1080 x 1920) and horizontal (1920 x 1080) formats, I'd use a 1920 x 1920 Fusion composition. And then on the Edit page I'd set the clip containing the Fusion composition to have the Retime and Scaling -> "Scaling" option in the Inspector panel to "Fill" so that you end up with the composition filling the horizontal or vertical frame even after you switch the aspect ratio of the timeline.

There may well be a better or more flexible way to do this, though, so I'm all ears if anyone else wants to chime in.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve