Media Offline in timeline viewer, but clips are online?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex Delfont

Media Offline in timeline viewer, but clips are online?!

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:38 pm

Hi everyone

If anyone could help out here I'd be hugely appreciated, as I'm stuck. I am doing sound and making music for a feature length documentary. My plan is to do all the sound design in Resolve as the editor uses it, so down the line when they make changes (its still early in the edit), they can move the sound design around with everything else. I'll make the music in Cubase at a later date. I do use resolve for my own video work, but never had to work with other people.

They've given me a full 8tb HDD with all the project files. I opened the project, then right clicked the root folder in Media Pool and clicked 're-link clips for selected bin'. It appeared to work, as I could then see all the thumbnails on each clip on the timeline, rather than 'Media Offline'. But then when I played the timeline, it still says 'Media Offline in the timeline viewer'. I tried disabling proxies. If I double click on any clip to open in the source viewer, I can play it in that. It doesn't make sense to me!

The sound plays, but Timeline viewer still says 'Media Offline'. Also it played back quite stuttery, even just the sound, could this be because I'm using a slow HDD? Surely it would have no issues with just sound

Any help would be great, as I am meant to be sorting out a sequence for the producers the next few days, and didn't foresee any issues like this!

Thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Media Offline in timeline viewer, but clips are online?!

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:41 pm

Couple thoughts.

1. Make sure to copy everything over to your own internal working drives.

2. Disable Cache under the Playback menu. (You may have to rebuild that on your own system.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Couple thoughts.

1. Make sure to copy everything over to your own internal working drives.

2. Disable Cache under the Playback menu. (You may have to rebuild that on your own system.)

1.thanks, Its 8tb of data, so I have to work of an external drive. But that shouldn't affect simply linking the clips and getting the project to play right?

2. Do you Playback/delete render cache/all? And then it will automatically rebuild it on my specified drive

Thank you

Jim Simon

PostMon May 29, 2023 1:56 pm

1. If the drive can't keep up... (There are drives larger than 10TB. Be worth looking into.)

2. Some Cache will rebuild automatically, like waveforms. Smart may well rebuild some things as well. But User Cache will have to be rebuilt manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:1. If the drive can't keep up... (There are drives larger than 10TB. Be worth looking into.)

2. Some Cache will rebuild automatically, like waveforms. Smart may well rebuild some things as well. But User Cache will have to be rebuilt manually.

1. There is 165gb left of space on this 8TB drive. Why would a larger drive help? Sorry for any stupid questions

2. So should I delete all cache? You only mentioned disabling it which I don't see

John Paines

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:05 pm

What are you seeing in the media pool? Are all the clips showing online? Do they play in the source viewer? If you replace a timeline clip with its original in the media pool, does it play?

Venturing to copy all the clips to new drives, which could cause problems for your client down the road, could be ill-advised until you know more. Have you tested the drive or copied something of yours to it to see what kind of performance you get? Cache is unlikely to have much to do with it.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:06 pm

1. It's not necessarily the capacity, it's the connection. Internal typically offers the best connection speed. Additionally, internal drives normally won't go offline, or have their drive letter changed.

Working from internals isn't mandatory. More of a 'best practice'. (At least for Local Library users. Networked large facilities using Network Libraries is another story.)

2. Start with Playback>Render Cache>None and see what happens.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:1. It's not necessarily the capacity, it's the connection. Internal typically offers the best connection speed. Additionally, internal drives normally won't go offline, or have their drive letter changed.

Working from internals isn't mandatory. More of a 'best practice'. (At least for Local Library users. Networked large facilities using Network Libraries is another story.)

2. Start with Playback>Render Cache>None and see what happens.

ok thanks, understood

2. It's already on 'None'

So weird

Alex Delfont

PostMon May 29, 2023 2:43 pm

Ok it turned out there was a video track hiding way up with a PNG that it couldn't link, and it was some sort of overlay, so this was covering up all the other tracks with Media Offline! So silly

thanks for your help

Return to DaVinci Resolve