Doing sound for a Documentary, looking for some advice...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alex Delfont

Doing sound for a Documentary, looking for some advice...

PostMon May 29, 2023 3:52 pm

Hi, I'm embarking on the biggest project I've done, doing the sound and writing music for a feature length Documentary that will eventually be on TV. I've only worked on short projects I've shot myself before, and it's been relatively simple. The editor has used Resolve, so it makes sense to do all the sound design/fixing in Resolve as they have a lot more editing to do.

I have a few questions I hope someone can answer -

• I've been giving the project drive, 8TB full, but I need to work on it when I'm travelling, so my plan is to copy the whole project on to a smaller SSD, excluding the video files. So I'd only be working with the Proxies. Could this lead to any issues?

•When proxies are created, what happens to the audio from the converted video file? Does it create proxies of the audio also? If I don't copy the huge original video files over, then can I even work on the original full quality audio?

•I use Izotope RX10 Advanced, and plan to mostly use it as an 'External Audio Process', sending it to RX, fixing it and saving it. When I send it to RX10, edit it and save it, it replaces the original audio in Fairlight, and puts the original audio on a lane below and disables it. This is great! But...it saves it Documents/resolve project media/capture. But I want it to save next to the original file ideally. Is this possible? If I click 'Save As' in RX10, I can choose place, but then it doesn't replace the audio in Resolve. Also having to manually select each time would slow me down immensely. Any ideas about this?

If anyone has any more tips or warnings about this workflow, I'm all ears. This is all a bit new to me!

thanks

Reynaud Venter

Re: Doing sound for a Documentary, looking for some advice..

PostMon May 29, 2023 3:59 pm

Alex Delfont wrote:it saves it Documents/resolve project media/capture. But I want it to save next to the original file ideally. Is this possible?
The capture path is a Project preference:
Resolve Project Prefs > Capture and Playback > Capture > Save clips to

If specific and unique file name convention is required for Audio Clips from the external application, then Resolve's “Replace Selected Clip” functionality in the Media Pool (available within the Clip's Contextual Menu) is an option.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

John Paines

PostMon May 29, 2023 4:12 pm

The original relationship between video and audio files (as in separate audio files) may not be retained in the course of proxy generation. Unless you do very careful testing in advance, it's ill-advised. And your clients may not thank you, for the final result.

You should be able to change the location where the bounced audio is saved by changing the save location in Capture and Playback project preferences.

A portable 10TB drive is about the size of a large paperback. And you're going to all this trouble, to save on that?

kfriis

PostMon May 29, 2023 8:46 pm

John Paines wrote:A portable 10TB drive is about the size of a large paperback. And you're going to all this trouble, to save on that?

The key word, mentioned by poster, may be “Travel”.

You certainly don’t want media put into hold under any circumstances, of you need the content after arrival in your destination. It may even - mysteriously - puff, vanish… ahem!

Just to name a few restriction examples (monkey class): China and Brazil local flights have a limit of 5kg hand luggage. Not necessarily enforced, but I have seen the chaos in Iguazu, when someone decided to do just that. Since nearly everybody had far to heavy hand luggage, and 150 pax repacking before takeoff was impossible, hand luggage above 5kg, was simply “confiscated” for hull-storage (due to time restrictions, I don’t think anyone had to Pay up). Alternative was “not on that plane”. Simple as that!

In other cases, there may be “small aircraft” restrictions on connecting flights and whatnot (Aussies are probably also used to that).

On some middle-east airlines, Economy carry-on - including (!!) personal item - is limited to 7kg (also intercontinental flights), and when you add computer, power suppply and whatnot, there isn’t that much left for papers, medicine, maybe glasses and even the odd bag holding all the bits in the “Electronics shop”, that you certainly don’t want to try to replace in i.e. Puerto Maldonado in the Peruvian Amazon region.

Just saying…

I’ve had my share of unexpected surprises. Some even resulting in permanent loss due to “equipment” mysteriously vanishing into thin air. No lost hard disks, but one case of missing computer and camera plus lenses. Insurance paid up after return, but that did not solve the immediate problem.

Regards and a big smile

Alex Delfont

PostTue May 30, 2023 8:47 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Alex Delfont wrote:it saves it Documents/resolve project media/capture. But I want it to save next to the original file ideally. Is this possible?
The capture path is a Project preference:
Resolve Project Prefs > Capture and Playback > Capture > Save clips to

If specific and unique file name convention is required for Audio Clips from the external application, then Resolve's “Replace Selected Clip” functionality in the Media Pool (available within the Clip's Contextual Menu) is an option.

Thanks yeah I was aware you could change the capture folder. I just hoped that you could somehow save next to original files (which are all in different folders), and it would automatically replace it on the timeline as it does when you save it in the capture folder. But it's ok if everything is in one folder I guess

What I realised was if I edit it a clip in RX10 and save, it replaces it in Resolve, and puts the original in a lane below it in Fairlight. But then if I make a new edit in RX10 and save, it doesn't replace it. So it seems you can only do it once. And if you want to replace anything again, you most send it again from Resolve to RX10

Is this for a reason? Or just a limitation or bug?

Alex Delfont

PostTue May 30, 2023 8:51 am

John Paines wrote:The original relationship between video and audio files (as in separate audio files) may not be retained in the course of proxy generation. Unless you do very careful testing in advance, it's ill-advised. And your clients may not thank you, for the final result.

You should be able to change the location where the bounced audio is saved by changing the save location in Capture and Playback project preferences.

A portable 10TB drive is about the size of a large paperback. And you're going to all this trouble, to save on that?

Thanks for the warning, do you know exactly what happens to the audio in a video file when creating proxies? Because I have only copied the proxies to my SSD without the original video files (which had the audio in them), and the project plays with sound. So this leads me to believe that the proxy video file also has a proxy version of the audio? Or because audio is so much smaller, maybe the proxies have the full quality audio. I'm a bit confused

The 8tb drives I've seen are pretty big and heavy, and I travel a lot with a packed bag full of gear, way over the weight limit. I also need to work on this for the next 6 months or so from my laptop, and won't always have a power outlet for the larger drives. This is why I'm considering working from Proxies alone

I appreciate everyones help

Reynaud Venter

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:00 am

Alex Delfont wrote:if you want to replace anything again, you most send it again from Resolve to RX10
Provides version control as each pass is placed on a different layer and mixers may quickly cycle through passes and promote the required instance.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Alex Delfont

PostTue May 30, 2023 9:10 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:
Alex Delfont wrote:if you want to replace anything again, you most send it again from Resolve to RX10
Provides version control as each pass is placed on a different layer and mixers may quickly cycle through passes and promote the required instance.

yeah I get that. I just wondered why it only creates a new version the first time you save in RX, and if you edit more and save again it doesn't change the file

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:00 am

Alex Delfont wrote:yeah I get that. I just wondered why it only creates a new version the first time you save in RX, and if you edit more and save again it doesn't change the file

I think it's a very bad idea to try to make decisions about sound quality and noise processing while on the run, traveling overseas in unfamiliar places. If it were me, I would wait until you get back to your permanent facility and then commit to the final mix changes. That's unless this is for something like YouTube where you might be able to get away with making judgement calls on (say) headphones.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

kfriis

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:05 am

Alex Delfont wrote:[cut...]The 8tb drives I've seen are pretty big and heavy, and I travel a lot with a packed bag full of gear, way over the weight limit. I also need to work on this for the next 6 months or so from my laptop, and won't always have a power outlet for the larger drives. This is why I'm considering working from Proxies alone

There is a surprisingly simple solution, if you use a modern powerbank (USB-C PD).

There are special cables (typical 50-100cm in length), that connects to USB-C, and are designed to accept USB-C 12V/3A Power Delivery (check, that the powerbank supports that), and deliver up to 3A on the Hard Drive 12V DC connection (you may need a conversion DC to DC plug, but they are easily obtained from Amazon).

On average, my Seagate 8TB drives consume around 10 to 15 Watt from the powerbank or a modern USB-C GaN Charger; depending on use. Don't rely on your computer to supply USB-C 12V power, unless verified (and checked with the manufacturer). It may seem possible, but the strain on the notebook may be too much in the long run. Besides, you'll want all the power for internal use, you can get when editing.

There's an extra benefit, and that's that the powerbank is seen as a standard USB-C 20V power delivery from a normal power supply, and that will be used first, before any internal power in the notebook.

I have two 77Wh/100W powerbanks (also used for powering my Panasonic S5 and Atomos Ninja V) with remaining charge display and running display of power use on the four ports (2xUSB-C and 2xUSB-A). When the power bank has emptied I still have a lot of power left to finish most work on the Notebook. Switching to my second power bank poses no problems either.

It works surprisingly well, and when AC power is intermittent or unreliable, I tend to run the HDD off the powerbank and recharge that from time to time. Some powerbanks can even charge and deliver power at the same time (needs checking).

As long as you use powerbanks below 100Wh, you don't have airline problems either (in carry-on).

Regards

Added later: With a big(ish) modern GaN Charger (140-200W and multiple USB-C (and maybe USB-A) outputs) and a powerbank, you can in reality drop all special power supplies, and power the whole caboodle from either GaN charger or powerbank as required. Whether we're talkning notebook, camera, recorders (in my case Zoom F3/F6 or Atomos Ninja V) or HDD's, even routers or tiny NAS (old Synology 414slim) and other weird stuff. Only supply - GaN or powerbank - varies, In effect using USB-C as a replacement for the usual AC multiplug unit. I even have a powerbank with two USB-C, 1xUSB-A, one 12-24 DC and wireless phone charger (88Wh), when I only need one critter.

Alex Delfont

PostWed May 31, 2023 6:26 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Alex Delfont wrote:yeah I get that. I just wondered why it only creates a new version the first time you save in RX, and if you edit more and save again it doesn't change the file

I think it's a very bad idea to try to make decisions about sound quality and noise processing while on the run, traveling overseas in unfamiliar places. If it were me, I would wait until you get back to your permanent facility and then commit to the final mix changes. That's unless this is for something like YouTube where you might be able to get away with making judgement calls on (say) headphones.

Yeah I agree. But a lot of my job is sound design, so mostly trawling through huge libraries of sounds to add atmospheres and bits of foley etc. The more critical side of the mix will be later on, and potentially even finished by someone else. I'm also not talking about doing it when sitting on a bus or plane, just I have to spend quite some time abroad, so I have to work when I'm away

Alex Delfont

PostWed May 31, 2023 6:28 am

kfriis wrote:
Alex Delfont wrote:[cut...]The 8tb drives I've seen are pretty big and heavy, and I travel a lot with a packed bag full of gear, way over the weight limit. I also need to work on this for the next 6 months or so from my laptop, and won't always have a power outlet for the larger drives. This is why I'm considering working from Proxies alone

There is a surprisingly simple solution, if you use a modern powerbank (USB-C PD).

There are special cables (typical 50-100cm in length), that connects to USB-C, and are designed to accept USB-C 12V/3A Power Delivery (check, that the powerbank supports that), and deliver up to 3A on the Hard Drive 12V DC connection (you may need a conversion DC to DC plug, but they are easily obtained from Amazon).

On average, my Seagate 8TB drives consume around 10 to 15 Watt from the powerbank or a modern USB-C GaN Charger; depending on use. Don't rely on your computer to supply USB-C 12V power, unless verified (and checked with the manufacturer). It may seem possible, but the strain on the notebook may be too much in the long run. Besides, you'll want all the power for internal use, you can get when editing.

There's an extra benefit, and that's that the powerbank is seen as a standard USB-C 20V power delivery from a normal power supply, and that will be used first, before any internal power in the notebook.

I have two 77Wh/100W powerbanks (also used for powering my Panasonic S5 and Atomos Ninja V) with remaining charge display and running display of power use on the four ports (2xUSB-C and 2xUSB-A). When the power bank has emptied I still have a lot of power left to finish most work on the Notebook. Switching to my second power bank poses no problems either.

It works surprisingly well, and when AC power is intermittent or unreliable, I tend to run the HDD off the powerbank and recharge that from time to time. Some powerbanks can even charge and deliver power at the same time (needs checking).

As long as you use powerbanks below 100Wh, you don't have airline problems either (in carry-on).

Regards

Added later: With a big(ish) modern GaN Charger (140-200W and multiple USB-C (and maybe USB-A) outputs) and a powerbank, you can in reality drop all special power supplies, and power the whole caboodle from either GaN charger or powerbank as required. Whether we're talkning notebook, camera, recorders (in my case Zoom F3/F6 or Atomos Ninja V) or HDD's, even routers or tiny NAS (old Synology 414slim) and other weird stuff. Only supply - GaN or powerbank - varies, In effect using USB-C as a replacement for the usual AC multiplug unit. I even have a powerbank with two USB-C, 1xUSB-A, one 12-24 DC and wireless phone charger (88Wh), when I only need one critter.

thanks I didn't know about this. I've read a few things online and a friend told me he got the Samsung 870 EVO 8TB SSD and it works fine in an enclosure, no external power. The speeds aren't amazing but easily good enough for editing. So I think I'll give this route a go as it will be small and light

Return to DaVinci Resolve