Fusion Completely Broken

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steelbar

Fusion Completely Broken

PostTue May 30, 2023 4:00 am

Is there a known solution for this?

Mac 13.3.1: Davinci 18.3/18.4

I was trying to zoom on my the keyframes panel in Fusion and it went weird as the zoom level suddenly jumped to showing 600000 frames and soon the spinny wheel of death appeared. Just before this, I was having a problem where the UI was going in and out of being interactive. I couldn't get the playhead bar to drag, or be able to click on any of the nodes but the main play button under the video window was fine.

Since then I've restarted the app, project won't open, restart app, older project wont open, restart mac, projects won't open, install latest version of resolve, projects won't open.

I ended up creating a new project and it opened and then I clicked across the workspace/sub-app tabs at the bottom and it jammed on Fusion. Restart, new project and then open my old project because it now opens on the . Hooray, but Fusion is still broken. I tried deleting my existing fusion clips within the project and creating a new fusion clip but still no.

I've also tried renaming the resolve library folder but the Fusion problem continues (Library/Application Support/Backmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/). Is there some way to reset all of the user defined settings in Fusion beyond that folder?

I'm going to fire up AE now. I really wanted to do this project completely in Resolve but I've just lost 2 hours and I can't rely on it.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Fusion Completely Broken

PostTue May 30, 2023 10:06 am

If you can generate diagnostic logs from the help menu and post a link to them here someone can take a look.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

steelbar

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 8:23 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. I've been able to use the rest of Resolve in the meantime but clicking the Fusion tab crashed it again. I've also tried downloading the 18.5 Beta in the hope that might have a fix in it but alas no.

https://cloud.caspeldesign.com/index.ph ... H5oEpmcGdf (This is plaintext as the forum wouldn't let me post it as a URL)
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230601-170701.zip

It's a bit frustrating but I have realised how much quicker I am using AE than Fusion, so rebuilding what I had had already built in Fusion didn't take long. Really wish I could help design the UI for Fusion!

steelbar

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 5:01 am

I wanted to update this that in the two weeks since Fusion died, I've been unable to get it working again.

I had my friend who is much more experienced with Mac software look at it and we deleted any reference we could find to Resolve on my machine but that couldn't restore Fusion to functioning. He put it down to the way that Resolve is really just a Frankensteined piece of software and that it's best recommended to use AE and Premiere for their stability.

I've persisted using the 18.5.3 beta and it has been failing to save and manages to get in a state where you cannot save. I attempted to use the export project but found out all that does is copy the last save... again lost a bunch of work.

Also there was some very inconsistent behaviour in how the effects were being applied to the titles. I couldn't understand any logic behind what was causing it but sometimes changes in the inspector would change the settings other times they wouldn't and also on some it would apply on both text and others only one of the lines of rich text.

Return to DaVinci Resolve