Deliver page - inability to export a timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chiccovr62

Deliver page - inability to export a timeline

PostWed May 31, 2023 12:35 pm

Hello, I'm dealing with a timeline of about 14 minutes, with no particular effects other than a few titles and a background clip with my logo, which there's no way to export. I tried with any setting and inevitably, at some point in the process, the program closes without warning. I also tried doing a render in place where it breaks off but it bypasses that point and ends up at another.
Other timelines of other projects do not present any particular problems, I did a test in this sense.
Do you have any particular suggestions to try to solve this situation as well?
Do you think moving to 18.5 Beta 2 could fix these issues?

My specifics:
Operating System Windows 11 Home
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-11400H Processor 2.7 GHz (12M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 Cores)
Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3050 Laptop
GPU, Up to 1600MHz at 60W (75W with Dynamic Boost), 4GB GDDR6
Display 15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9, Value IPS-level, Anti-glare display, sRGB:62.5%, Adobe:47.34%, Refresh Rate:144Hz, Adaptive-Sync, Optimus
Memory 8GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM, Max Capacity:32GB - updated to 32GB
Storage 512GB PCIe® 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Thanks for any help you can give me

Steve Alexander

Re: Deliver page - inability to export a timeline

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:37 pm

Your 4GB GPU may be too small if you are rendering an UHD timeline. If you run out of GPU memory, Resolve will crash.

Try switching the timeline resolution to HD (1080p) and see if that will render.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

chiccovr62

PostWed May 31, 2023 1:45 pm

Thank you Steve for your reply.
However, it is a problem that arises differently for each project. Some projects I was able to export without problems in 4K (and even when I still had only 8GB of Ram), others, like the one I'm dealing with now, it is not possible to export them in any format, not only 4K or FHD but not even, simply, like HD.
It also happens to me, as I've read in other posts by other forum participants, that the program crashes in the same timeline rendering point. Maybe I bypass it by doing a render in place of that portion but then it comes back in another point.
In your opinion, will these problems be solved with the final 18.5 version?

Steve Alexander

PostWed May 31, 2023 5:17 pm

I don't know if the problem you are experiencing will be corrected in the final 18.5 ('cause we don't yet know what is actually crashing Resolve). It could be some specific effect that happens to be spiking the GPU memory use during rendering. I suppose you could monitor GPU memory usage during rendering to see if it spikes. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer to your question. Cheers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 31, 2023 6:33 pm

After such a render crash, restart Resolve and load a project or start a new project, just to enable selecting the Resolve Help menu, then select the "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop" menu to generate a Resolve log file.

Open the Resolve Project Manager window, right click the project you were trying to render, and select Export Project. This will create a .drp project export file.

Then open Windows System Information and select its File - Save menu. This will generate a .NFO file with the system info.

Put all those files on a file sharing site, and provide a link to the files. Make sure the link does not require access credentials.

If you are a new forum user, the forum system may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens, just put a space near the front the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

chiccovr62

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:54 pm

Thank you Dwain.
Following the link to view the files you have indicated.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApX-YImHyJeBiuELB76 ... w?e=yw2Z0A

Thank you so much if you can give me some suggestions to resolve this strange problem.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 8:41 pm

Your RTX 3050 Laptop GPU only has 4GB of VRAM. All your crash logs show that the GPU is running out of VRAM. So you are apparently doing something in the project that requires more than 4GB of VRAM.

While higher than HD resolution timelines will aggravate the issue (4GB of VRAM is not going to be enough to practically do any UHD timeline resolution work) other things like using heavy OFX, or high resolution media, or stacking high resolution media tracks on the Edit page or temporal noise correction with lots of frames selected can exceed GPU VRAM even with an HD timeline.

If you'd like to provide a project export .drp of the project you are having issues with, I may be able to tell you problem areas in the timeline.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

chiccovr62

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 pm

Ho Dwaine, thank you so much.
This is the link to my project that I cannot deliver:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApX-YImHyJeBiuE7guW ... g?e=yjUeyi

Do you think that is possible to extend the VRAM or is it generally impossible for notebooks?

Thank you again.

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:08 am

That is generally impossible.
Time to get a new machine. You may be able to work in a 1280x720 timeline, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve