Added "S" as keyboard shortcut - it doesn't work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tomas E

Added "S" as keyboard shortcut - it doesn't work

PostWed May 31, 2023 7:05 pm

In the Keyboard Customization I added the letter "S" to be used for adding a subtitle. It's there in the menu if I right-click in the subtitle track but nothing happens when I type "S". I also tried adding Shift-S instead but that doesn't work either.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Andy Mees

Re: Added "S" as keyboard shortcut - it doesn't work

PostWed May 31, 2023 7:15 pm

What native keyboard do you have/use ... I have no issue with the mapping you describe, I'm using a regular QWERTY keyboard.

Tomas E

PostWed May 31, 2023 7:58 pm

Logitech K740. It's a qwerty keyboard as far as I know. Nordic keyboard layout admittedly, but the S is in the same place as usual. And it shouldn't matter which key I use since the right one should show up where ever you put it.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:56 pm

I have seen reports of weirdness when using non-English keyboards.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I have seen reports of weirdness when using non-English keyboards.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
Tomas E wrote:And it shouldn't matter which key I use since the right one should show up where ever you put it.
It *shouldn't*, but... Tomas, just to check, try switching to a US keyboard layout and see if the issue persists.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 5:03 pm

The S key in particular has been an issue for some for several years, there are a few old threads about it.

Tomas E

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 1:59 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:I have seen reports of weirdness when using non-English keyboards.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
Tomas E wrote:And it shouldn't matter which key I use since the right one should show up where ever you put it.
It *shouldn't*, but... Tomas, just to check, try switching to a US keyboard layout and see if the issue persists.

It's the same with US keyboard layout.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Tomas E

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 2:36 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:The S key in particular has been an issue for some for several years, there are a few old threads about it.
Okay. :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I remember the 'Go to first frame/last frame' has no keyboard shortcuts originally. I'm pretty sure that I've added the , and . to those myself. They work. However assigning the , to subtitles doesn't.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Andy Mees

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Thats really odd... I just checked again (on my 18.5 Beta MacBook Pro system) and mapping Edit Timeline > Add Subtitle is working fine for me. I've mapped it to 's' and its all good here. Stupid question, but is it safe to assume that you have already added a Subtitle Track to your timeline and your Timeline panel has focus (is the active panel) when you use the shortcut?

Tomas E

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 8:13 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Thats really odd... I just checked again (on my 18.5 Beta MacBook Pro system) and mapping Edit Timeline > Add Subtitle is working fine for me. I've mapped it to 's' and its all good here. Stupid question, but is it safe to assume that you have already added a Subtitle Track to your timeline and your Timeline panel has focus (is the active panel) when you use the shortcut?

Yes, I have a Subtitle Track. To get it "in focus" as you say I've tried clicking in the track before hitting the S key. I'm on Windows so it may not be comparable.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 2:18 am

Tomas E wrote:Yes, I have a Subtitle Track. To get it "in focus" as you say I've tried clicking in the track before hitting the S key. I'm on Windows so it may not be comparable.

I've generally told students not to use "bare" keys like the letter S. My advice is to use a modifier key, like control-shift-S, or alt-S, or alt-shift-S, so it won't conflict with just typing the letter "S" in a file name or something. The alternative would be to use a macro keyboard off to the side programmed to activate the Subtitle mode, and that way it's just a single button that you've mapped out.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Tomas E

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 8:58 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Tomas E wrote:Yes, I have a Subtitle Track. To get it "in focus" as you say I've tried clicking in the track before hitting the S key. I'm on Windows so it may not be comparable.

I've generally told students not to use "bare" keys like the letter S. My advice is to use a modifier key, like control-shift-S, or alt-S, or alt-shift-S, so it won't conflict with just typing the letter "S" in a file name or something. The alternative would be to use a macro keyboard off to the side programmed to activate the Subtitle mode, and that way it's just a single button that you've mapped out.

Control-shift-S is used for 'Save as...' by default.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Tomas E wrote:'Go to first frame/last frame' has no keyboard shortcuts originally.
Default for those is ; and '
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tomas E

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 8:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Tomas E wrote:'Go to first frame/last frame' has no keyboard shortcuts originally.
Default for those is ; and '
Thanks! Now I remember why I changed them. To use ; with Swedish keyboard layout I need to use the shift-key and then it didn't work. I'm not sure about the other one but it probably isn't on the same key as on US layout. The , and the . is right next to each other (without modifier) and that's why I chose them.

Still strange that I can't assign the 'Add subtitle' to , although it's one of the keys that work with the frame commands.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Tomas E

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 9:05 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:The alternative would be to use a macro keyboard off to the side programmed to activate the Subtitle mode, and that way it's just a single button that you've mapped out.
You mean like for example an original U.S keyboard along with my Swedish one?
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 1:10 am

Tomas E wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:The alternative would be to use a macro keyboard off to the side programmed to activate the Subtitle mode, and that way it's just a single button that you've mapped out.
You mean like for example an original U.S keyboard along with my Swedish one?

Get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Falcon-20-Pr ... 071H49V8T/

I have mine turned sideways. I purchased black translucent keys so I can use Printer Lights.

Edit 20230604_210543_HDR.jpg
Edit 20230604_210543_HDR.jpg (883.22 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

It's very customizable.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 1:25 am

Getting the keypad is a nice workaround. As is using a different key, adding a modifier, etc.

Still, if there’s a bug here it really should be logged and, eventually, fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 1:43 am

Tomas E wrote:Control-shift-S is used for 'Save as...' by default.

Fine. Make it Control-alt-shift-S.

The point is not to use a "Bare" letter without modifier keys.

Tomas E wrote:You mean like for example an original U.S keyboard along with my Swedish one?

Streamdeck:

Andy Mees

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 7:59 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Tomas E wrote:Control-shift-S is used for 'Save as...' by default.

Fine. Make it Control-alt-shift-S.

The point is not to use a "Bare" letter without modifier keys.

I appreciate your intention is good Marc, but mapping shortcuts to 'bare' letter keyboard assignments is neither a new nor contentious technique. There should be absolutely no need to avoid doing so, and certainly not in regard to the function Tomas is trying to map. Indeed, mapping the desired function ('Add Subtitle') to his desired assignation ('s') works fine for me. Also, please note that in Tomas' original post he said that mapping the key with a modifier (Shift) was something he had already tried without success.

Tomas, did you try to see if the issue (shortcut not working) persists across all timelines, projects and databases? You checked to see if changing your keyboard layout from Swedish to English would help, but that didn't work... have you tested to see whether changing your OS system language to English works? Its obviously not something you should need to do permanently, but as a troubleshooting step it's perhaps worth checking. Do you have any friends, colleagues or associates with similar setups to yours (language, layout etc) that also use Resolve. Are they able to map and use an 'Add Subtitle' shortcut? And with regards to secondary input devices, do you happen to have access to an 'original U.S keyboard' you can borrow/try? If so, does that work?

Tomas E

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 9:00 pm

Thanks Shaheed and Marc for introducing those programmable keyboards to me!

They are certainly interesting, but bigger ones with more options seem to be quite expensive. I'd rather stick to my regular keyboard for the time being.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 2:38 am

Andy Mees wrote:I appreciate your intention is good Marc, but mapping shortcuts to 'bare' letter keyboard assignments is neither a new nor contentious technique.

It is to me. I go back to about 1987-1988 with macros on PCs and Macs, and realized that long ago (35 years) that there are inherent flaws with trying to use oft-used keys without modifiers and force them to be macro keys. Disagree with me at your own risk.

One of the problems with asking for free advice on the internet is that sometimes, the answers you get may not be what you expected or hoped for. But it doesn't make the advice any less true.

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 7:38 am

Marc, you don't have a monopoly on being old, my friend, my first Mac was around 1987 too. I had an SE at home and Macintosh II in the office... with a 20MB hard drive. It was a simpler time. :)

"I'm so old" posturing aside, my points stands. Mapping keyboard shortcuts to bare key assignments in a modern NLE is, by and large, a non-issue, they are designed for this... they are keyboard driven. Do you remap your system to avoid spacebar for stop/start and JKL as transport control standards?

To be clear, Tomas is not reporting an issue about something not working when typing in to a text field, he already clarified that. Nor is he reporting an issue that should require the use of a third party macro keyboard like a Streamdeck (as great as they are)... it's with respect to a single keypress shortcut that the majority of users don't have an issue with. As he explained in the original post, he already tried it with a modifier and it still didn't work, so this is nothing to to with 'bare' keys. That being the case, I'm not really sure I see the advantage of trying to gloss over the matter by giving out broadly generic advice that is not apropos of the issue at hand. Absolutely no offence intended, just trying to point out things could be missed when joining discussions further down the thread.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:14 am

Andy Mees wrote:Marc, you don't have a monopoly on being old, my friend, my first Mac was around 1987 too. I had an SE at home and Macintosh II in the office... with a 20MB hard drive. It was a simpler time.

Actually, that was when I started using Macros. My first Mac was an SE/30; my partner had a Mac 128K. My point is the same: we figured out 35 years ago, "ah, using single-letter macro keys is bad, but using them with a modifier key will work." I'm just saying... my solution will work. The advice is basically: "don't do that."

Andy Mees

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:35 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I'm just saying... my solution will work.
But it didn't, Marc. Per the OP, mapping with a modifier was something he already tried (see the opening post). It wasn't the issue / didn't make any difference.

Tomas E

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 10:29 am

Andy Mees wrote:Tomas, did you try to see if the issue (shortcut not working) persists across all timelines, projects and databases? You checked to see if changing your keyboard layout from Swedish to English would help, but that didn't work... have you tested to see whether changing your OS system language to English works? Its obviously not something you should need to do permanently, but as a troubleshooting step it's perhaps worth checking. Do you have any friends, colleagues or associates with similar setups to yours (language, layout etc) that also use Resolve. Are they able to map and use an 'Add Subtitle' shortcut? And with regards to secondary input devices, do you happen to have access to an 'original U.S keyboard' you can borrow/try? If so, does that work?

Checking all projects would be quite a lot of work even though I don't have more than a few saved. However my non professional guess after quite a lot of years with different apps is that an issue of this kind applies to all projects, since the keyboard shortcuts are "global" and do not change with different projects.

Now I've tested changing the OS language to US as well. I used the US keyboard layout at the same time. It didn't work either. I'm not aware about any of my acquaintances using Resolve. Neither do I have a US keyboard to try with.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Tomas E

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 10:37 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Actually, that was when I started using Macros. My first Mac was an SE/30; my partner had a Mac 128K. My point is the same: we figured out 35 years ago, "ah, using single-letter macro keys is bad, but using them with a modifier key will work." I'm just saying... my solution will work. The advice is basically: "don't do that."
I'm sorry Marc, but it doesn't work. I just tried with the Alt-S too. However I found a bunch of keyboard shortcuts that already exists (picture). Since the S is already assigned I'm not going to select it for subtitles. I find it strange however that Resolve doesn't react when I try to choose a shortcut that already exists.

Shortcuts without modifier.jpg
Shortcuts without modifier.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Last edited by Tomas E on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 3:44 pm

Tomas E wrote:Thanks Shaheed and Marc for introducing those programmable keyboards to me!

They are certainly interesting, but bigger ones with more options seem to be quite expensive. I'd rather stick to my regular keyboard for the time being.

Keep in mind with the one I posted, you have 5 different layers, you can have up to 100 different programmable commands.

That aside, this seems like a problem that needs to be fixed.

Tomas E

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 9:39 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:Keep in mind with the one I posted, you have 5 different layers, you can have up to 100 different programmable commands.

That's plenty, good to know!

Are you using this one because you're having the same issue as I? I came to think of "what if a macro keyboard doesn't work either on my system".

I agree since I'm obviously not the only one having this issue.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 11:16 pm

Tomas E wrote:I'm sorry Marc, but it doesn't work. I just tried with the Alt-S too. However I found a bunch of keyboard shortcuts that already exists (picture). Since the S is already assigned I'm not going to select it for subtitles. I find it strange however that Resolve doesn't react when I try to choose a shortcut that already exists.

What happens if you use control-alt-shift-S? Guaranteed, that one is not in use.

Again, a standalone Macro program (like the excellent one Streamdeck gives away with their keyboards) will let you select a menu item.

I use some weird combinations just so I can avoid anything else that's already in use. In fact, I do it just in case we have a freelance guy working in the room and he or she won't be tripped up with one of my Keyboard Customizations. All the stock factory Resolve shortcuts are left alone on our systems. The chance of the colorist or conform artist hitting control-option-shift-D are about 1 in a thousand, and I use that to enable/disable Dual-Screen (as one example). I'd never, ever, ever, just program "D" to do that, because D is used for a lot of other things... like an alphabetical character in a file name.

I can recall a good friend of mine in the 1980s who was completely vexed because he had tied the space bar to a macro. It was such a disaster, I called him the next day and asked him how he solved it: he took the nuclear option: wiped his hard drive, reformatted it, restored the OS from scratch, and painstakingly re-installed every app, which I think took 18 hours. I learned from his lesson and remember that vividly, even 35 years later: some keys you should just avoid using as a macro. And with XKeys and Streamdeck and a dozen other little $99 boxes out there, just break out the command to a macro hardware keyboard. We have the $30,000 Advanced Panels, and I still use a Streambox for certain arcane things the big panels just won't do.

visualfeast

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 1:08 am

Good thing keyboard shortcuts are disabled in dialogs and input areas where the user can type a filename or variable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/75TB RAID/3080ti/Intensity Pro 4K/2x ProArt PA278CGV/Dell U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.2 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 3:56 am

Tomas E wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:Keep in mind with the one I posted, you have 5 different layers, you can have up to 100 different programmable commands.

That's plenty, good to know!

Are you using this one because you're having the same issue as I? I came to think of "what if a macro keyboard doesn't work either on my system".

I agree since I'm obviously not the only one having this issue.

No. I mainly bought it for colorgrading. I use the buttons I have colored I use for Printer Lights, on Layer 2 I use them for Half Printer Lights. The buttons on the side I use for navigating nodes, adding new nodes and adding new grade versions.

Everything that not on the Speed Editor, I use on the 20 keypad for.

So far I have only used 2 pages. The other three I can use for anything.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 4:36 am

I believe this thread was started by the OP to understand and hopefully get fixed the issue he’s having with a keyboard mapping. I think it’s kinda hijacking the thread to keep discussing hardware controllers.

Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Tomas E

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 5:49 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:What happens if you use control-alt-shift-S? Guaranteed, that one is not in use.
Just tried it, didn't work.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Tomas E

Re: Added

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 5:57 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:I believe this thread was started by the OP to understand and hopefully get fixed the issue he’s having with a keyboard mapping. I think it’s kinda hijacking the thread to keep discussing hardware controllers.

Thanks Joe,

I do find it interesting however to learn about other options such as a macro keyboard. So I don't mind these tips. But I'd prefer a bug fix of course if that's what's needed.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Tomas E

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 9:39 pm

Yippee!

They've added a keyboard shortcut for subtitles!

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S it is! :D

@Marc Wielage: I suspect that you have something to do with it? :)
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5
Windows 11

Bruceqld

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 am

I use single key shortcuts all of the time without issue. My 's' key is mapped to split for example. One qwirk of DR is that when you assign a keyboard shortcut, despite it warning that one already exists it does not delete the duplicate, you need to manually remove those yourself after you assign a new shortcut otherwhise neither will work.
Davinci Resolve 18.5.1, Intel i9, 64gb RAM, Windows 11, Nvidia 3090 24gb, RME Fireface UFX, Speed Editor.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 9:46 am

Tomas E wrote:Yippee!
They've added a keyboard shortcut for subtitles!
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S it is! :D
@Marc Wielage: I suspect that you have something to do with it? :)

I did not, but it just shows: great minds think alike. I can guarantee you, ^⎇⇧S wasn't used before, and you won't hit it accidentally. That's a good idea for a shortcut that's mnemonic, but won't get in the way of any existing keyboard customization command.

BTW, to the person who commented earlier: there ARE shortcuts and also right-click commands that work even in a dialogue box (in some cases). These user-interface issues are sometimes non-obvious and require some real thinking & planning to avoid conflicts and problems.

Return to DaVinci Resolve