No effects available in paid Studio version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sputnikpictures

No effects available in paid Studio version

PostWed May 31, 2023 9:02 pm

MacOS 12.6.3 Monterey
M1 Studio mac
Resolve 18.1.4 Studio (paid & licensed)
Problem: I've spent several hours now trying to find/install/reveal/use ANY effects in Resolve 18. I'm a longtime (40 years) editor, but rarely use Resolve, so I don't think this is user error, but I could be wrong. Have looked at numerous videos & Resolve documentation, and it appears that my install simply is NOT working.

Situation: I'm trying to do some basic film dirt/dust removal & restoration. Clip (2160p, 4:3 aspect, ProResHQ, 23.98) has been loaded, a node has been created, I'm in the Color panel, but whenever I click on the Effects tab (top right of screen, next to the Nodes tab), the only thing that happens is the word "Effects" toggles between white and gray. No drop-down menu, nothing. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled -- no change. From every video I've looked at, this is not normal behavior.

Suggestions?

Uli Plank

Re: No effects available in paid Studio version

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:28 am

Are you sure you have Studio running? Check the version.
This is definitely not normal, I have tons of effects here at my disposition, including those you mention.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:54 am

Hi Scott

The expected behavior is to see an effects sidebar pop out from the right and show you the available effects - this works both in free and Studio.

Please try the following:
a. Workspace > Reset UI layout.
b. if you're on a small-ish screen, please check if hiding/toggling the Gallery before clicking on effects makes a difference.

In your response, please:
a. add some detail on your displays - is it an MBP display, external? what's the native resolution and the effective (post-scaling) resolution for each display? if you use multiple displays, do you use dual screen mode? what's the primary display set as?
b. please add some screenshots of the app before and after you click the effects button.

(edit: given you're relatively new to the forum, there will be forum moderation limits in effect - affecting attachments, URLs etc. If you run into them, please consider adding the pictures to a third party upload site, clicking share and adding the URL with spaces to your response - e.g www dropbox com/s/blabla)

Thanks
Shrinivas

sputnikpictures

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:18 pm

The issue turned out to be the dual monitor setting. I have to say it’s a bit bizarre to be REQUIRED to enable it and let the app occupy both monitors (at least that seems to be the case) if you have two monitors connected. It seems logical to assume that if the dual monitor setting isn’t enabled, everything will function properly on the main monitor. But it doesn’t. Even stranger is that dual monitor seems to be limited to only certain workspace panes. Some very odd UX decisions.
Main monitor: LG 34” 5k 21:9
Secondary monitor: Wacom Cintiq 16

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:38 am

I can run DR perfectly fine on the smaller one alone of two screens connected, with the effects pane accessible.
But then, it might be an OS issue.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 6:20 am

Uli Plank wrote:I can run DR perfectly fine on the smaller one alone of two screens connected, with the effects pane accessible. But then, it might be an OS issue.

Yeah, same here. There are times (like on the Color page) where I prefer to have two screens, so I can have most of one screen taken up by the Lightbox (and Gallery), and then the color controls on the other. But then during conforms, I'd rather have the Edit page just on the left. I have a macro to get in and out of Workspace/Dual Screen, so it's easy to do.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Andy Mees

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:35 pm

sputnikpictures wrote:I have to say it’s a bit bizarre to be REQUIRED to enable it and let the app occupy both monitors (at least that seems to be the case) if you have two monitors connected.
Thats not been my experience Scott, I have no issue running Resolve with full functionality in single monitor mode when 2 (or more) monitors are physically connected. I frequently switch to single monitor mode when the cat decides to take up residence on the monitor bridge.
sputnikpictures wrote:It seems logical to assume that if the dual monitor setting isn’t enabled, everything will function properly on the main monitor. But it doesn’t.
I can't reproduce this issue. It works exactly as expected on my system.
sputnikpictures wrote:Main monitor: LG 34” 5k 21:9, Secondary monitor: Wacom Cintiq 16
To be fair, my own experience is only with dual (and triple) 16:9 monitor and 16:10 monitor setups, usually with matched resolutions. I've no personal experience with running Resolve on ultrawide display setups. I do have a 49" 32:9 ultrawide sitting on my desk in the office... but the office is about 10,000 km away and I don't think my bicycle will make it.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 2:14 am

But that might be the cause, the ultrawide might confuse the OS or DR.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:57 pm

Scott

Some questions:
Resolutions: What are the working and scaled resolutions for the LG and Wacom displays? Are the displays mirrored or extended? What is Resolve's scaling set to?
Did you reset the UI layout before assigning display/dual screen and other settings?
When you ran into the effects library issue, was the toggle on the Wacom display?
What was the cursor input from - stylus, mouse, other?

We test regularly on dual monitors, including asymmetric laptop + monitor configurations - both in single and the different dual screen modes. Like the other say, this is not an issue we've encountered. Any info you can provide to narrow this down would be useful. If you can include screenshots/screen captures, that would answer a lot of questions.

Regards
Shrinivas

Return to DaVinci Resolve