Massive ram consumption & unstable timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

stevenlewissimpson

Massive ram consumption & unstable timeline

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:02 pm

In the last couple of weeks the timeline to my movie has been taking an age to load, has been clocking up use of around 120GB of Ram when loading (128GB on my system) and it has been very unstable. I'm not sure what has changed. The timeline is over 2 hours long. Running 18.5 or 18.5.2 or 18.5.3 hasn't solved the issue. I am losing a lot of time over this and may miss a deadline for a crucial screening for the director of one of the biggest festivals because of this, so it is pretty frustrating. It was working fine before so something has altered the equation. The Ram use is extraordinary. I was running 64GB and upgraded this week to see if that helped and it just ate it all up. Most of my work at the moment is in smaller timelines for individual scenes and that generally is working okay, but lots of things are not working as smoothly as they should.

I am working with a combination of 12k and 6k BRAW footage.

Ryzen 9 5900X
128 GB Ram
RTX 3090
Windows 11
Blackmagic Decklink 4k
Last edited by stevenlewissimpson on Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZRGARDNE

Re: Massive RAM consumption & unstable timeline

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 9:59 am

Is it the borked AMD drivers?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=180252

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:26 am

He has a Nvidia GPU, Zeb.
@ Steven: Post a log and a NFO. If you don’t know how, please check the FAQs.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

stevenlewissimpson

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:19 pm

Many thanks for the reply. Here is a link to the log files. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13vsfwpEcfDTGu-fCQA_OXMwesjTaaZIb?usp=sharing

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-MQ1QGT3
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model MS-7C84
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor, 3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.50, 1/20/2021
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.2728"
User Name DESKTOP-MQ1QGT3\COHESION RESOLVE
Time Zone FLE Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 128 GB
Total Physical Memory 128 GB
Available Physical Memory 13.1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 174 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB
Page File Space 45.7 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:18 am

stevenlewissimpson wrote:In the last couple of weeks the timeline to my movie has been taking an age to load, has been clocking up use of around 120GB of Ram when loading (128GB on my system) and it has been very unstable. I'm not sure what has changed. The timeline is over 2 hours long. Running 18.5 or 18.5.2 or 18.5.3 hasn't solved the issue.

OK, well first, I wouldn't use a Beta-release project on a very important project. I think 18.5 will be finalized in the next couple of months, but right now, you could potentially run into some issues.

To work around big timelines that suck up a a lot of system resources, my advice would be to cut the timeline in half, and have the first half in Timeline 1, and the second half (with matching timecode) in Timeline 2. See if those load and render correctly.

For final delivery, render them out to a visually-lossless format like DNxHR 444, then make one big timeline from the two flattened files, stitch them together, and render them out one last time as a single 2-hour file in the delivery format of your choice.

Some years ago, we had issues with overheating Trashcan Macs and all kinds of problems, and I had to render out 4K features in 10- or 20-minute chunks, just to try to meet deadlines and deliver feature projects reliably. This got me by, but it was fraught with problems (particularly with NR, speed changes, OFX plug-ins, and so on). Getting a significantly more-powerful system was ultimately the solution for us.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

stevenlewissimpson

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 6:15 am

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, it is frustrating in this day and age that there can still be resource issues with a full feature. For final delivery to DCP it won't be so bad since I can renumber sequential images in a flash and do it externally. But the Ram issue started up quite recently so that is the curious thing. So something seems to have triggered this. The one thing added recently is the use of a lot of Izotope external plug-ins but it would see extraordinary if Resolve had such a big issue with them.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 6:20 am

There were other threads in which these seem to have triggered issues.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 10:36 pm

stevenlewissimpson wrote:The one thing added recently is the use of a lot of Izotope external plug-ins but it would see extraordinary if Resolve had such a big issue with them.

The iZotope suite of plug-ins are very resource-heavy, and even with Pro Tools, we do all our processing externally (within iZotope standalone), then bring in the processed files on an adjacent track and compare them. We don't try to use iZotope processing in real-time, because sometimes you have to do layers and layers of different processes in a very specific order for best results. It's fair to say it's a complicated piece of software, not a "set and forget" thing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

stevenlewissimpson

Re: Massive ram consumption & unstable timeline

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 7:19 am

Many thanks for that. That is very helpful to know. I used them quite a lot on my last feature within Avid, though that was a while back and it went okay. But these issues have lined up with my using the plug-ins a lot. Would it eat into the RAM opening the project? Does caching make much of a difference?

Have you ever used the ERA plug ins from Accusonus? I was wondering if they were less RAM hungry.

UPDATE I just disabled all audio plug ins and it is loading quickly. Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Return to DaVinci Resolve