Updating usage count, how?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

Updating usage count, how?

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 9:23 am

I have a project with many clips number of which hasn’t been used and I would like to remove them from the project. When I look at usage count in media pool it shows zero even for number of clips that ARE used. How do I update usage count to show accurate value, please? I tried Google-fu and couldn’t find the answer.

Jim Simon

Re: Updating usage count, how?

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:36 pm

The Usage updates automatically, but it only shows for the currently active timeline. There's no way to see Usage project-wide.

Yet...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=173753
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 2:07 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The Usage updates automatically, but it only shows for the currently active timeline.
Per my current understanding, that's not correct... in the Media Pool, the Usage column reflects the usage count across all *loaded* Timelines, Multicam clips and Compound clips etc of the current project, not just the 'currently active timeline'. In normal use, my understanding is that a specific timeline is 'loaded' when it is opened in the timeline window, and it remains loaded even if it that specific timeline is later closed and/or disabled.
4EvrYng wrote:How do I update usage count to show accurate value, please?
You can give yourself a fighting chance by enabling the 'Load all timelines when opening projects' option in the Preferences > User >> Project Save and Load settings. Bear in mind though that (per my current understanding) only 'Enabled' timelines will be loaded. If you have specifically disabled any timelines, those will not be loaded. Only way I know of to manually refresh the count is to close and then reopen the project, to ensure the count is only reflecting currently loaded and enabled timelines etc.

4EvrYng

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 6:40 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
4EvrYng wrote:How do I update usage count to show accurate value, please?
You can give yourself a fighting chance by enabling the 'Load all timelines when opening projects' option in the Preferences > User >> Project Save and Load settings.

Thank you, that did it! What would be the cons of loading all timelines when opening projects, please?

Also, I am bit confused with how usage is counted. In a project with single clip on a single timeline usage count is reported as 2. Does anyone know logic behind counting I could use to figure out where clip might be used?

Andy Mees

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 pm

4EvrYng wrote:What would be the cons of loading all timelines when opening projects, please?
As I understand it, the loaded timelines are in RAM... so not loading them unless you actually need them reduces the memory footprint of the active project.
4EvrYng wrote:Also, I am bit confused with how usage is counted.
Each instance of the media on each and every timeline track is counted... so if the clip appears once on 1 video track and 1 audio track then the Usage count is '2'.

4EvrYng

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:11 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
4EvrYng wrote:What would be the cons of loading all timelines when opening projects, please?
As I understand it, the loaded timelines are in RAM... so not loading them unless you actually need them reduces the memory footprint of the active project.

Thank you! Do you happen to know, please, is that just the system memory footprint or NVRAM footprint too?

Andy Mees wrote:
4EvrYng wrote:Also, I am bit confused with how usage is counted.
Each instance of the media on each and every timeline track is counted... so if the clip appears once on 1 video track and 1 audio track then the Usage count is '2'.
Ahhh... it makes sense now, thank you for the clarification!

Andy Mees

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:19 pm

4EvrYng wrote:Do you happen to know, please, is that just the system memory footprint or NVRAM footprint too?
My assumption is system memory footprint... honestly, I'm not at all clear how non-volatile RAM figures into the equation. That's above my pay grade! :)

4EvrYng

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
4EvrYng wrote:Do you happen to know, please, is that just the system memory footprint or NVRAM footprint too?
My assumption is system memory footprint... honestly, I'm not at all clear how non-volatile RAM figures into the equation. That's above my pay grade! :)

Thank you again :)

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:10 am

Andy Mees wrote:As I understand it, the loaded timelines are in RAM... so not loading them unless you actually need them reduces the memory footprint of the active project. ...Each instance of the media on each and every timeline track is counted... so if the clip appears once on 1 video track and 1 audio track then the Usage count is '2'.

Yeah, this is a rare case of something I had never noticed before. Usage was always 100% accurate to me... but with our main system (which has 256GB of RAM), I just set it to always load all the timelines into RAM without even thinking about it. It's very possible that if only one timeline was loaded, Usage might not update correctly.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

4EvrYng

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:15 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Andy Mees wrote:As I understand it, the loaded timelines are in RAM... so not loading them unless you actually need them reduces the memory footprint of the active project. ...Each instance of the media on each and every timeline track is counted... so if the clip appears once on 1 video track and 1 audio track then the Usage count is '2'.

Yeah, this is a rare case of something I had never noticed before. Usage was always 100% accurate to me... but with our main system (which has 256GB of RAM), I just set it to always load all the timelines into RAM without even thinking about it. It's very possible that if only one timeline was loaded, Usage might not update correctly.

I have 128GB and setting for loading the timelines was left at default cause I didn't have the need to change it. Now that I changed it to load all the timelines my usage count for the project is reflected.

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:08 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Per my current understanding, that's not correct... in the Media Pool, the Usage column reflects the usage count across all *loaded* Timelines
I think this was my understanding.

I was thinking of the right-click>Usage results. Those only show on a highlighted timeline basis, not all at once.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andy Mees

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 4:00 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I was thinking of the right-click>Usage results. Those only show on a highlighted timeline basis, not all at once.
I really don't want to jinx it, Jim, but as a sidebar to this thread, I noticed the other day that on my current Windows production machine install (of 18.1.4) the Media Pool clip item right-click 'Usage' submenu is actually working (almost) exactly as you'd imagine it ought to. For me, in my current project, it's listing instances across multiple loaded timelines, even when those that are not open let alone active, and selecting such an instance causes the requisite timeline to be immediately opened, made active and the playhead moved to the instance... but it only does this if an instance also exists in the currently active timeline ie for me, the 'Usage' submenu itself is only displayed if and when the targeted clip is used in the currently active timeline, but when so, it lists the usage in other loaded timelines too. Note: This is not working on my Mac install of the Resolve 18.5 Beta, it's only working on my Windows install (which is 18.1.4). I haven't figured out the secret sauce yet.

Return to DaVinci Resolve