Saving memory for a newbee

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Skronger

Saving memory for a newbee

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 2:38 pm

Started using free Davinci Resolve 17 circa 2022, then got 18 in summer 2023. Love it, fantastic!! Just doing occasional personal youtube for now. Thanks.
A friend had advised I could go to C:\Users\Your_User_Name\Pictures\Video Projects
to delete files once i finished with a project. It worked fine. But now i can not find any such 'backup' to delete. Mind you i also got a new computer and upgraded to Resolve 18.
Are such, i call them backup files, the same in 18, or now they are just in our media folders and if i delete my media folders that deletes everything? In Resolve 17 on my older computer last year, it did not, rather, I had to go to the directory noted above.
Thanks in advance!
CK - aka Skronger

danielpanev

Re: Saving memory for a newbee

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 3:56 pm

I am not sure if I understand your question, but...
I've tried to import a fairly typical personal YouTube project of mine (exported from a PostgreSQL DB that I usually use) into a local file database and the size is like 4 Mb. Let's assume that it could grow to 50 or 100 Mb... In my humble opinion this size (100 Mb) is just a joke compared to the TBs of footage, so... Just ignore it - no need to worry :D

Skronger

Re: Saving memory for a newbee

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 4:37 pm

Thanks Daniel.
Interesting!
And I'm sorry, my question was a rambling confusion as usual.

When using Davinci Resolve 17 (DR17) to make a video, I would accumulate about 8 gigabytes of hidden files in the C:\Users\Your_User_Name\Pictures\Video Projects folder. I did not put it there intentionally, rather, it was a DR-17 default location to store project files. Even if i deleted my media folders upon finishing project, I had to go to the location above and also delete those files. I didn't know why I was losing my computer memory over time, and that was why - a friend told me later i had to go there to find it. My 3 media folders video-pictures-musicwould be about the same size as these other 'hidden' files/folders.

Now, on DR18, there is no Video Projects folder at C:\Users\Your_User_Name\Pictures\Video Projects folder so I want to know where this default location is saving my project now, because I need to delete it after i do each project. I dont have a big backup drive so i need to delete all files once I finish a project and upload it to Youtube.
CK eh

Return to DaVinci Resolve