Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rob Ainscough

Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 am

I've read thru a few 100 threads on not being able to add transitions. I'm aware that the clips need to be trimmed to have duration to allow for the transition (applies to all editors).

Coming from Adobe Pr I would visually see an overlay and if the transition didn't have enough spare footage to make the transition it was visually apparent in the transition overlay.

My problem with Resolve is that I don't see any overlay at all, nothing, nada, zippo?

1. Clips are trimmed with over 5 seconds available at each clip
2. Cmd + T does nothing?
3. Drag the Cross Dissolve over the both selected clips and noting happens?
4. I'm in "Edit" mode, still nothing?

Am I missing something really obvious? I'm really puzzled at why something as simple as adding a transition required going to the Internet looking for a solution.

I'm a software engineer by profession (35+) years, and whenever I see over a 100 pages of users have problems with a specific task, that means my UI has issues and needs to be adjusted. Sadly, it seems Blackmagic developers don't seem to be aware of the Transition problems user run into.

Cheers, Rob.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 10:49 am

Maybe a phone video of what u see might help.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Andy Mees

Re: Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 10:57 am

What is your timeline zoom level vs duration of the transition being applied, Rob? It's not impossible that you maybe just need to zoom in a bit to see what's happening.

Return to DaVinci Resolve