Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rob Ainscough

Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 4:19 am

I've read thru a few 100 threads on not being able to add transitions. I'm aware that the clips need to be trimmed to have duration to allow for the transition (applies to all editors).

Coming from Adobe Pr I would visually see an overlay and if the transition didn't have enough spare footage to make the transition it was visually apparent in the transition overlay.

My problem with Resolve is that I don't see any overlay at all, nothing, nada, zippo?

1. Clips are trimmed with over 5 seconds available at each clip
2. Cmd + T does nothing?
3. Drag the Cross Dissolve over the both selected clips and noting happens?
4. I'm in "Edit" mode, still nothing?

Am I missing something really obvious? I'm really puzzled at why something as simple as adding a transition required going to the Internet looking for a solution.

I'm a software engineer by profession (35+) years, and whenever I see over a 100 pages of users have problems with a specific task, that means my UI has issues and needs to be adjusted. Sadly, it seems Blackmagic developers don't seem to be aware of the Transition problems user run into.

Cheers, Rob.

Peter Cave

Re: Transition Overlay not showing, and yes my clips trimmed

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 4:47 am

The user guide has full instructions on all the methods one can use to add transitions.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 2.45.44 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 2.45.44 pm.png (597.09 KiB) Viewed 248 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Rob Ainscough

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:45 am

Yes I know, very aware of the methods to add transitions.

I was able to solve the problem by exiting Resolve and starting it back up again, and now my transitions work as expected. I'm going to maintain this is a bug since it happens to so many people ... Resolve seems to get into some "state" where it will not add transitions now matter what one does.

Rob

Peter Cave

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 10:14 am

Possibly something to do with your computer setup. I have never experienced that issue and have used Resolve since version 11 on Linux, Mac & Windows.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve