HP AMD Radeon W5500 a good budget GPU for Davinci?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dvoraksystems

HP AMD Radeon W5500 a good budget GPU for Davinci?

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 3:41 pm

Hello,

As a beginner in video editing, I am looking for an upgrade of my nVidia T1000 (4GB).

Can the HP AMD Radeon W5500 (8GB) be a good option for Davinci (Studio) or should I select an other card? I would like to be able to edit 4K video with 25fps.

Thank you very much for help.

Vojtech, Czech Republic

VMFXBV

Re: HP AMD Radeon W5500 a good budget GPU for Davinci?

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 12:30 am

dvoraksystems wrote:Hello,

As a beginner in video editing, I am looking for an upgrade of my nVidia T1000 (4GB).

Can the HP AMD Radeon W5500 (8GB) be a good option for Davinci (Studio) or should I select an other card? I would like to be able to edit 4K video with 25fps.

Vojtech, Czech Republic

Whats your codec of choice? RAW or H264/265? Its an ok card if you're getting it cheap. Otherwise I would look at something like an RX6700 which is newer and better.

Also, being an HP card means its an OEM card. Make sure it doesn't have any firmware quirks like some of the OEM stuff has.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

John Paines

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:15 am

At its advertised price in the U.S., the HP Radeon Pro W5500 would a poor choice, not much better than what you have now, apart from the added vram, and is more expensive than far better GPUs.

You're also likely to have less trouble with a nvidia card, which will have a much larger user/support base. The usual recommendation at the low end is the 3060 with 12GB.

dvoraksystems

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 am

Hello,

Vojtech, Czech Republic

Hi, thank you very much! - I will be going for an nVidia card!

VMFXBV

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 12:50 pm

dvoraksystems wrote:
Hello,

Vojtech, Czech Republic

Hi, thank you very much! - I will be going for an nVidia card!

Just be careful what you choose.

Don't give up a mid to high end AMD card with more VRAM in favor of a low tier nvidia card (usually the same price) just because its nvidia. AMD and Nvidia cards of equivalent FP32 compute work the same in Resolve regardless of what some resident naysayers say.

Just look at the GPU full forum thread to see how low vram nividia cards perform: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62070

Buy smart, check benchmarks from reputable sources for the workflow you have, don't base your decisions on memes like cuda or bad drivers from random users or some other random stuff.

Go for the nvidia or amd card that suits YOUR NEEDS, not what others say.

Nvidia cards are recommended around here blindly by clueless people regardless of VRAM for every type of workload and in short time many of them are coming back and filling that GPU memory full thread...
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

John Paines

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:10 pm

Of course, if you're going to search forum threads, be sure to examine the extensive and numerous ones devoted to AMD issues, despite far lower rates of use of AMD products here.

And as a beginner, you're almost certainly going to be among the "clueless", in the sense that you haven't devoted your life to GPU technologies and don't intend to, so you might want to do what other clueless people quite sensibly do, which is buy the products in widest use and most widely tested. There are no bargains in hardware at more or less equal prices, and benchmarks will be far less important than reliability and ease of use.

VMFXBV

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 2:11 pm

QED

Buy the product that's widely used, not the one that you need in your workflow. ROFLMAO. Lowest common denominator was always the staple of intelligence...ay ay ChatGPT bots...

Good luck OP with your choice.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

John Paines

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 pm

You really can't expect that your brazen AMD product promotions here, particularly to persons ill-equipped to deal with the issues likely to arise, won't be remarked upon. Numerous contributors have said the same to you. Just a day or two ago, in fact. That guy happens to be an engineer.

But of course all the clueless, lowest common dominator types like me are just plain incapable of appreciating your selfless efforts. That, or we simply don't have time to fool with equipment.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 2:20 pm

I am going to be clear here on this post so that there is no confusion in regards to what expectations are for our forums:

People who browse and participate on the forums are allowed to offer suggestions and advice provided by other users but let it be clear that your personal opinions regarding the content of these need to be discussed in a civilized manner without snowballing into insults or insinuations. This has been discussed in this post before and if there are further instances of behavior from the users in this thread her or elsewhere occurs, those accounts will be subject to discipline.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

drpoah

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 pm

dvoraksystems wrote:Hello,

Vojtech, Czech Republic

I would go for something with a bit more ooommph. I edit my gopro 11 videos using an RX 5600XT which is a bit more powerful than the W5500 but has 2 GB less memory. I can edit my 5.3K 34fps into 4K without any issue. I don't do anything fancy so colour correction, sharpening, titles, transitions etc. Play back is fine with those settings. anything fancy and I run out of power at 4K.

The W5770 pro is the better card is you have to get a pro one or else get a standard gaming GPU like a 6700XT. Pro cards are expensive

VMFXBV

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:26 pm

drpoah wrote:
I would go for something with a bit more ooommph. I edit my gopro 11 videos using an RX 5600XT which is a bit more powerful than the W5500 but has 2 GB less memory. I can edit my 5.3K 34fps into 4K without any issue. I don't do anything fancy so colour correction, sharpening, titles, transitions etc. Play back is fine with those settings. anything fancy and I run out of power at 4K.

The W5770 pro is the better card is you have to get a pro one or else get a standard gaming GPU like a 6700XT. Pro cards are expensive

Correct. The PRO cards don't really make sense, except for one thing. Usually they're the only option if you want to have a GPU with ridiculous amounts of VRAM, like 48GB. So, unless you benefit from the signed drivers for CAD applications and such, a gaming card is a better and cheaper choice.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Return to DaVinci Resolve