Integrated GPU not showing up

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kirderf

Integrated GPU not showing up

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:55 pm

Last night my computer had an automatic windows update, and when I tried to open Davinci Resolve this morning I get the error message: Unsupported GPU Processing Mode. It had been working totally fine the previous day on Davinci Resolve 18.

When I go to the memory and GPU settings, there is no GPU to select under GPU configuration. I think this is a VRAM issue as my iGPU only has 0,5 GB of dedicated VRAM, but is has access to the 16 GB shared memory total.

I have no clue how to fix this, and as a general novice I am in need of help.

I am using a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS Creator Edition, with AMD Radeon 680M iGPU.

Uli Plank

Re: Integrated GPU not showing up

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 5:16 am

Shared memory doesn't help, your GPU is massively underpowered. Shared memory doesn't help, only unified memory (Apple only as of now).

I wonder why it has worked before, but the old rule applies: never let Microsoft change a running system.

Regarding hardware, see these:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=168834
https://www.simonsaysai.com/blog/davinc ... quirements
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 5:19 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

kirderf

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 7:38 am

Thank you!

Here are links to the files, hope they're the right ones.

h ttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1 ... sp=sharing

VMFXBV

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 1:51 pm

kirderf wrote:Last night my computer had an automatic windows update, and when I tried to open Davinci Resolve this morning I get the error message: Unsupported GPU Processing Mode. It had been working totally fine the previous day on Davinci Resolve 18.

When I go to the memory and GPU settings, there is no GPU to select under GPU configuration. I think this is a VRAM issue as my iGPU only has 0,5 GB of dedicated VRAM, but is has access to the 16 GB shared memory total.

I have no clue how to fix this, and as a general novice I am in need of help.

I am using a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 6800HS Creator Edition, with AMD Radeon 680M iGPU.

Windows probably replaced your driver with its own crappy version. Its a common occurrence unfortunately.

Use DDU or https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 to clean up the Windows drivers.

Download new drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support by selecting processors with graphics or download drivers from top left to auto detect. Install these new ones with the internet turned OFF to prevent Windows installing its garbage again.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

VMFXBV

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 2:00 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Shared memory doesn't help, only unified memory (Apple only as of now).

Uhm, completely wrong about only Apple. "Unified" memory existed since the introduction of APUs many many years ago. And basically all CPUs with iGPS have "unified memory" and it works the same way as on Apple.

What separates Apple from the rest of the pack is the higher number of CUs on their GPUs (console style, massive die) and the fact that they basically use octo channel DDR5 (quite expensive) vs dual channel on the PC side for higher bandwidth and speed (dual channel for graphics is pretty slow) . Still same traces as regular RAM (sticks), just a tad closer to the CPU and soldered to force you to upgrade.

Besides this there isn't any magical juice to this whole unified memory shtick.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:38 am

OK, I didn't try to explain it to that technical degree. And, BTW, memory is not exactly 'soldered', but part of one single, pretty large piece of silicon.

And then using it in a way as the thread starter expected is not yet happening elsewhere for DR. If we ramp up the RAM needs of the GPU cores, the RAM use on Apple silicon goes up without any further measures. Heck, if you go too far, it'll even start to swap, ruining your expensive soldered SSDs on the long run. But I've yet to see a VRAM full message on one of the new Macs. Fusion is a different story…

I hope fixing the driver helps.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

VMFXBV

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:OK, I didn't try to explain it to that technical degree. And, BTW, memory is not exactly 'soldered', but part of one single, pretty large piece of silicon.

And then using it in a way as the thread starter expected is not yet happening elsewhere for DR. If we ramp up the RAM needs of the GPU cores, the RAM use on Apple silicon goes up without any further measures. Heck, if you go too far, it'll even start to swap, ruining your expensive soldered SSDs on the long run. But I've yet to see a VRAM full message on one of the new Macs. Fusion is a different story…

I hope fixing the driver helps.

Its not really part of the SoC, it just looks that way (its part of the package). If you look closely at the M1 diagrams it even shows the same traces that are used on regular RAM. So not really any different from an APU or lets say a PS5 console style APU.

On the PC side this is done exactly the same way with iGPUs that have shared memory. It just sucks because its usually too few GPU cores to matter and the bandwidth is laughably small because of dual channel DDR.

PC could do an Apple style APU but it would be very expensive (octo channel) and the GPU dies would be very large (The GPU die on an M1 MAX is larger than a 3090 but works barely as a 3060?) so there's no market for it on the PC side.

Quad channel memory is not even mainstream yet...
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Return to DaVinci Resolve