Compound clips become blurry after zooming in

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kirby67

Compound clips become blurry after zooming in

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this issue with the compound clips relying on the timeline resolution and not the image resolution. It's been bothering me a lot as I require my video resolution to be at least 2560x1440 and when I zoom into the compound clip using keyframes on the Edit section (Not Fusion), it gets very blurry.

For some technical statistics, the original image inside the compound clip is 1854x1662 (in the CC, it is at scale 0.123) and once I put keyframes on the CC and zoom in, it doesn't look anything like the resolution and looks very blurry.

I've uploaded an unlisted video regarding the problem for better clarity:

I've heard and am aware though, that this is because the compound clips rely on the timeline's resolution, and not the image resolution. There is a consistent but not-as-good workaround I found which is to increase the timeline resolution, but that can only go so far to 4K and I will be stuck with scaling limitations before running into this issue again. How can I work around this and make it rely on the image resolution and not the timeline?

So far I couldn't really find a good solution and have struggled to follow the ones I have found, and am concerned about the project as I've scheduled for release in a few weeks' time, so I'm looking for a swift and efficient solution that would work in a day if not a few days... I would like to ask if there is a solid solution for this because I really want to publish a video that meets this resolution criteria as I have so far.

Thanks and responses are appreciated! :)

Steve Alexander

Re: Compound clips become blurry after zooming in

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:39 pm

My first thought is to not use compound clips for these images or use Fusion and bring the image directly into Fusion (using a loader node). I am interested to hear other's workarounds. Cheers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

kirby67

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 8:14 am

I've tried the Fusion method by creating a Fusion clip and then scaling it but it didn't seem to solve the problem. It looks like both CC and FC use the same method?

kirby67

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 8:31 am

Hmm, even doing it through Fusion poses the same issue. This time I made a Fusion clip on the edit section with two images (Like the one demonstrated in my video) and went to the Fusion tab, added Transform (Fx), and then used the keyframing feature and zoomed it in. In the earlier post, I did it through the edit section but both methods were to no avail. Looks like both methods use a similar kind of technique to merge the two things together, or am I doing something wrong with the Fusion one?

Steve Alexander

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:22 pm

You try using a loader node in Fusion to load the image?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve