Native vs. Auto Encoder

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Native vs. Auto Encoder

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 10:36 pm

Hello all- I'm looking for clarification on the "native" versus "auto" encoder options in the delivery tab of Resolve (version 18). I recall in the past having trouble during the render process with one of these, but have since forgotten which one. From what I remember, "native" uses the system's CPU, while "auto" resorts to the GPU. Does anyone know which one of these options is preferable for a smoother render (i.e., less chances for crashing/artifacts?). That aside, is the overall quality of the render affected in between the two? Thanks for any suggestions!

Edit: I am exporting in Quicktime, H.265, upscaling to Ultra HD (even though footage is not Ultra HD). Mostly using Quicktime so I can export Linear PCM audio.

capthook

Re: Native vs. Auto Encoder

PostWed Jul 26, 2023 6:30 am

System specs? GPU?
Native is fine.
Nvidia is best with modern card.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19.0b3 | Nvidia Studio 552.22 | Mavic 2P | GH6 | Ronin SC
i9 13900K | 64GB 5600MHz DDR5 RAM | RTX4080 16GB | (4) 990Pro 2tb m.2 | Windows 11

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 26, 2023 7:30 am

Hi Alexander

The simple version is:
* native uses the OS
* hardware specific options like Nvidia, Intel, AMD etc use the hardware encoders
* auto - lets Resolve make the decision on the best encoder to use.

Hope that helps
Shrinivas

Lychon

PostWed Jul 26, 2023 7:01 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'm editing on a laptop ( :shock: ) that is an i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, with Intel's iRIS Xe graphics (which, I guess, is an integrated graphics card?). I have 16 GB of RAM.

So it may not make a difference in my case, since I don't think I even have a dedicated graphics card. I just know that in the past, one of the options caused me some issues, and I think it was choosing the "Auto" option.

Return to DaVinci Resolve