Is 18.5 just constantly freezing for anyone else?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nos402

Is 18.5 just constantly freezing for anyone else?

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 2:20 am

Usually I can edit on my laptop without any issues, but suddenly today, Resolve is just constantly freezing up my whole computer. Sometimes I can fore quit the program, sometimes I reboot my laptop. Sometimes I can edit for a few minutes before it totally freezes, most of the time it just freezes as soon as I open a project. There's all kinds of other weirdness and glitches that I don't even know how to describe. A lot of weirdness and it's basically unusable for me right now. Just wondering if this is unique to me or if others have had issues since the latest version.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Is 18.5 just constantly freezing for anyone else?

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 6:29 am

More details as to the system spec may be useful, along with diagnostic logs:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio Premium VAD ⟧
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.5 (23F79) ⟧

nos402

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 8:31 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:More details as to the system spec may be useful, along with diagnostic logs:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Thanks! I was just checking first to see if it was a "just me" thing before really diving in to trying to get help figuring it out. There's so much weirdness going on that's hard to explain, and I also thought I'd see if it persisted on my next project. I'll take a look at that linked thread and gather the info.

nos402

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 4:34 am

Yep, happened again today while trying to edit a simple video. After a few minutes the whole computer got really sluggish for a but then just Resolve was extremely sluggish and eventually it just quit. I reopened it and all the video thumbnails had glitched and if I tried to play the videos I got audio but no video (this had happened on the last project as well). I'll attach an image as well as my logs.

Computer info:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (9.85 GB usable)
OS is Windows 11 64 bit, completely up to date.

I do realize that the specs I believe are below the recommended, but the things is, up until a few days ago, I could edit just fine with no issues. I even edited a video with 15 tracks doing split screen. I'm not sure what changed to suddenly cause it to no longer be usable on this machine. As far as I can tell, I think it's fine on my home desktop. I'm away from but actually remoted in to my home machine so I could make a few tweaks to my edit since I couldn't get my laptop to play nicely.

I've also rebooted my laptop MANY times, sometimes so as to quickly get out of the sluggish/frozen state instead of waiting to see if it recovers.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230728-232252.zip
(809.1 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Screenshot 2023-07-28 135645.png
Screenshot 2023-07-28 135645.png (357.62 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

nos402

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 5:06 am

A few more things I've discovered. If I just open a blank project, all seems fine, it didn't appear to freeze. I opened my project in "Read Only" mode and that too seemed fine. Then I opened it again in normal more (not Read Only) and everything immediately froze an remained super sluggish until I could get a program shutdown to eventually register.

I made some changes in "Read Only" mode, then saved it as a copy, and immediate the timeline video thumbnails glitched and showed what looked like video noise and I had no video upon playback. I shut down the program, and reopened the new copy of the project and all was fine. After a few minute of editing everything froze again including my mouse cursor. After a minute or two, everything unfroze, and trying to playback the video in Resolve just showed two flickering alternating frames in the video window while audio played back normally (a behavior that had occurred in the past as well, like I said, a lot of weird behavior that's hard to explain).

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 5:24 am

Hi

As you've mentioned, your computer is below minimum specs. One thing you could perhaps try is a clean install of the Adrenaline driver - you can search the forums for the versions that caused problems for other users, and the ones that worked. And consider disabling Windows DCH driver auto updates once you find a stable driver.

Regards
Shrinivas

nos402

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 5:31 am

It seems like there must be some significance that "Read Only" mode doesn't seem to freeze and can still playback and make edits!

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi

As you've mentioned, your computer is below minimum specs. One thing you could perhaps try is a clean install of the Adrenaline driver - you can search the forums for the versions that caused problems for other users, and the ones that worked. And consider disabling Windows DCH driver auto updates once you find a stable driver.

Regards
Shrinivas

nos402

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 5:35 am

Also I just tried the "Optimize Media" option while in "Read Only" and then saved as a new project which *might* have fixed it. It's hard to tell sometimes since it can take a few minutes for the problem to crop up but so far it's behaving.

nos402

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 7:45 pm

I was wrong about the past solutions. They didn't fix it, BUT I may have finally solved it. Time will tell, however after unchecking the box which is nested under Preferences>System>Decode Options>Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration (which I left checked)>AMD (which I unchecked), I edited for a few minutes as a test without freezing up. Hopefully this luck holds up during my next full edit.

slickerdrips

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 8:05 pm

It's constantly freezing or sluggish for me too, was completely fine with the previous version and everything worked smoothly. As far as I know my specs should be fine

i7-10700KF 3.8GHz
32gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080

While Resolve Studio is freezing my CPU, Memory and GPU in the Task Manager are below 30% usage so I've got no idea what the problem is, really regret updating.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 2:58 am

Tom, please see the faqs re posting NFO and resolve generated logs
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

nos402

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 3:00 am

Sound pretty identical to my situation! You might see my last post and see if that solution helps. I haven't tested it super thoroughly but preliminary tests seemed promising!

slickerdrips wrote:It's constantly freezing or sluggish for me too, was completely fine with the previous version and everything worked smoothly. As far as I know my specs should be fine

i7-10700KF 3.8GHz
32gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080

While Resolve Studio is freezing my CPU, Memory and GPU in the Task Manager are below 30% usage so I've got no idea what the problem is, really regret updating.

Nick2021

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 3:57 am

nos402 wrote:Yep, happened again today while trying to edit a simple video. After a few minutes the whole computer got really sluggish for a but then just Resolve was extremely sluggish and eventually it just quit..

That sounds like you're running out of memory.

Open task manager before Resolve. Watch memory use. You're likely also swapping. A full NVME drive ? Worse a slow HDD.

Do you have anything else open? Chrome ?

Marc Wielage

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 4:16 am

Had 18.5 freeze for the first time right after I opened an existing session and grabbed a still. Resolve crashed and was unresponsive. I went to Force Quit, selected Resolve... and it stayed open. I realized, "ah, this is a bigger crash than I thought, and went to Restart the system. Without selecting Restart... the computer basically shut down. I powered it all down, waited a minute, rebooted... and all was fine.

This is on a 2019 Mac Pro running OSX Ventura 13.3. Lost zero work, session was fine. My guess is it momentarily got confused as to how many drives were connected and just choked... but I don't know for sure.

Zero crashes with 18.5 on the laptop or on the Mac Studio Ultra.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

nos402

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 5:15 am

Memory and CPU never come close to max. Memory sits around 70%.

Nick2021 wrote:
nos402 wrote:Yep, happened again today while trying to edit a simple video. After a few minutes the whole computer got really sluggish for a but then just Resolve was extremely sluggish and eventually it just quit..

That sounds like you're running out of memory.

Open task manager before Resolve. Watch memory use. You're likely also swapping. A full NVME drive ? Worse a slow HDD.

Do you have anything else open? Chrome ?

worldpoop

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 5:58 am

YES.

On the edge of unusable.

iMac Pro (2017) - All the troubleshooting's been done: no background apps, no CPU hogs, 64GB memory, empty SSD drive, smart render, proxies, pcm audio, prores video, yada yada yada. Long freezes!!! Long waits to even start playing. Some audio tracks get dropped during playback.
Last edited by worldpoop on Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

nos402

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 7:00 am

I updated my video drivers and things seem to be working again even with the "AMD" box checked under hardware acceleration (mentioned in my earlier reply).

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 10:54 am

Heath,
Thanks for the confirmation. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about AMD graphics driver issues. Hence my earlier request for a driver update.

Bryn,
Is this the same issue as this post?

Tom,
As Peter says, more detail, and preferably a link to logs would help.

I've linked a post I responded to with a GPU checklist. It would be good to check if there are GPU related complications that contribute to this issue.

Thanks
Shrinivas

nos402

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Yeah what confused me is that it had worked fine days before and when I looked in my windows update history I didn’t see any video driver updates. I did try to have windows update the driver and it said I already had the most current driver.

So just as a test I downloaded AMD’s drivers instead of just using the windows driver and that may have worked. Time will tell next time I edit.

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Heath,
Thanks for the confirmation. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum about AMD graphics driver issues. Hence my earlier request for a driver update.

Bryn,
Is this the same issue as this post?

Tom,
As Peter says, more detail, and preferably a link to logs would help.

I've linked a post I responded to with a GPU checklist. It would be good to check if there are GPU related complications that contribute to this issue.

Thanks
Shrinivas

DavidVogt

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 1:45 am

No problems on 18.5 on Mac. Completed and distributed 22 minute documentary over 3 weeks without any freezes.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Marc Wielage

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 2:30 am

DavidVogt wrote:No problems on 18.5 on Mac. Completed and distributed 22 minute documentary over 3 weeks without any freezes.

Yeah, I'm about to start my second feature on 18.5, and it's been "fine so far" (knock on wood).
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve