How do I make transparent text?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iRedMC

How do I make transparent text?

PostSun Aug 20, 2023 9:18 am

Hi, I'm still kind of new to Resolve, and I'm trying to make an intro sequence for my YT channel that I can just render once and just have to mix in front of videos, but I'm having problems I didn't have on Premiere. The text it generates has this black background that for some reason I can't figure out how to remove. I turned off background and backdrop, and I thought that would do it, so I rerendered, and mixed in the new intro, but it still completely blocks out whatever video I put behind it, it still has this black background.

Can anyone help me fix this?
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old stuff, PC for gaming stuff, Maxed-out i9 MacBook Pro for things better ran on x86, and a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro for when I don't have my 16", an M2 Pro Mac mini for editing, and an i7 2018 Mac mini for transcoding.

Andy Mees

Re: How do I make transparent text?

PostSun Aug 20, 2023 9:31 am

You'll need to export using a codec that supports an alpha channel.

Maybe try setting your export to H265, Grass Valley HQ / HQX, Avid DNXHR or Apple ProRes 4444... and enable the 'Export Alpha' option in the export settings.

iRedMC

Re: How do I make transparent text?

PostThu Sep 14, 2023 6:48 pm

Andy Mees wrote:You'll need to export using a codec that supports an alpha channel.

Maybe try setting your export to H265, Grass Valley HQ / HQX, Avid DNXHR or Apple ProRes 4444... and enable the 'Export Alpha' option in the export settings.

Ah, ok. Thanks! I've just been using the "Add" composite mode in the video tab of one of the side areas on the right, which has some kind of strange effect and doesn't work how I expected.
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old stuff, PC for gaming stuff, Maxed-out i9 MacBook Pro for things better ran on x86, and a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro for when I don't have my 16", an M2 Pro Mac mini for editing, and an i7 2018 Mac mini for transcoding.

Return to DaVinci Resolve