Color calibrated workflow?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cschneider

Color calibrated workflow?

PostMon Oct 02, 2023 7:29 pm

Hello all,

first of all: I know there are many discussions about color calibration - however, I don't understand one point, so I hope you can help me.

I am currently using a Mac Studio with two monitors - one of which shows a clean video feed from Resolve. I have calibrated this monitor to Rec709 using a Calibrite Color Checker Studio - so under the "Display" settings in macOS I can switch between "some" setting and the calibrated setting, which leads to a visible color change on the monitor

On many websites it is now mentioned that a really color calibrated process is only possible with e.g. an "Ultrastudio Monitor" or similar - with the reasoning that the "operating system changes the colors and no good signal path is given anymore".

From my point of view there are two possibilities:
1) The signal is send via Thunderbolt to an Ultrastudio, which then gives it "as is" to the monitor. Now it depends on the monitor that it is calibrated - e.g. via an interconnected LUT box or an internal hardware calibration.
2) The signal goes via the computers graphics card to the monitor. A calibration has been done via the Color Checker Studio, so the "correct" colors should be shown on the monitor?

So why do you need an Ultrastudio - isn't the point of a color calibration process (on the Operating System level) to ensure that the colors are displayed unaltered?

Thank you very much in advance, best
Christian
Resolve 18.5 (Studio)
Mac Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve