18.6.2 can't start with error

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

tktk1946

18.6.2 can't start with error

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 8:01 am

Hello.

I have installed Davinci resolve 18.6.2 but cannot start it.
The error message is "The execution of the code cannot continue because DirectML.dll is not found. Reinstalling the program may solve this problem." I get the following.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but the situation has not changed at all.
Does anyone have a solution?

Below are the specs of the PC I am using.
Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-8700T CPU@2.40GHz
32.0 GB of installed RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro P620 with latest drivers installed

Thanks to all for your advice.

Charles Bennett

Re: 18.6.2 can't start with error

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 7:14 pm

According to Microsoft DirectML.dll is installed as part of Windows 10, and I couldn't find any separate download for it on the Microsoft website. So, you might have a problem with your Windows installation.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 19, 2023 11:19 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows Desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open the Windows System Information app and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tktk1946

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 12:40 am

Mr. Bennet, thanks for the advice.

Mr.Maggart, I uploaded the two files to the following URL as you suggested.

<https://upload.hdedrive.com/ui/id.amada.biz/dl/SB1697762380-2f0a1386-deb1-4655-8c34-7e3fb1c00fb7>

Download password: ^PR8mrhprCGn

URL expiration date: 09:39, 27 October 2023 (UTC+09:00)

Thanks for your help in resolving this issue.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 4:24 am

For some reason, there are no logs in that log file. All the config info is there, and it looks OK. Not sure why the logs would be missing. If the config files are there, there should be at least a few log related files.

You have an old GPU driver installed for the P620 Quadro GPU. I'd recommend you go to the Lenovo Support site for your P330 Tiny Workstation (ThinkStation), and download and install the current 31.0.15.3598 driver and see what that does.

If that doesn't help, I'd suggest opening the Windows Device Manager, selecting the Display Adapters section, then right click the Fujitsu Live Help graphics driver device and select Disable device, then see what Resolve does.

If none of that helps, generate a new NFO and log file and send those.
Dwaine Maggart

tktk1946

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 5:07 am

Dear Mr. Maggart.

I accessed Lenovo as you suggested, and the latest driver on my current PC was 31.0.15.1694, not 31.0.15.3598. (It is win10).
I installed this with no good results.

Next I changed the Fujitsu Live Help graphics driver device to disable it, but still no change.

I uploaded the NFO file and logs again.
I hope this time you can see the logs properly.

You can download them from the following URL:.
 <https://upload.hdedrive.com/ui/id.amada.biz/dl/SB1697778237-572748a6-65ef-4896-aae0-306728f76f7b>

Download password: V+QJA79nch+r

URL expires: Oct 27, 2023 14:03 (UTC+09:00)

Thanks for your kind support.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 4:53 pm

I'm still baffled why there are no logs in the log file.

By chance, have you attempted to install Resolve on your D: drive? Some things I see in the config files could indicate that.

If you are attempting to install Resolve on the D: drive, then try installing it on the C: drive instead, and see if that works better.
Dwaine Maggart

tktk1946

PostFri Oct 20, 2023 11:35 pm

Dear Mr. Maggart.

Actually, after my last reply, our ICT department notified me of the OS build upgrade, and after running it, I reinstalled Davinci Resolve 18.6.2.
After doing so, I was able to start up as normal!

It seems it was a Windows problem. Sorry for not being aware of this elementary problem.

Thank you very much for all your help and guidance.

Turicum

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 1:44 pm

Hello,

After updating to DaVinci Resolve 18.6.2, I also get the same error message "The execution of the code cannot continue because DirectML.dll is not found."

DirectML.dll is a library developed by Microsoft for Machine Learning purposes and is part of the Windows 10 operating system since update 1903 or later.

I’m in the unfortunate situation of being stuck on Windows 10 version 1803 and cannot update to a newer version of Windows 10 since every attempt to do so resulted in a corrupted system that would not start anymore. I have a HP Pavilion notebook and it’s well known that especially on these platforms Windows 10 updates have been a huge disaster.

However, neither HP nor Microsoft cares about it and so owners of those notebooks have only two options: 1) Install a newer version of Windows 10 from scratch or 2) Remain on an older version of Windows 10. Since I have a design software package installed on my notebook that I need for my work and that I cannot activate anymore (Autodesk was so kind and stopped the activation servers in 2018), only option 2) remains for me as a valid option.

Now, since there may be other users of DaVinci Resolve who would like to update to DaVinci Resolve version 18.6.2 and for similar reasons like me are stuck on a Windows 10 version older than 1903, the question is, how do we get the DirectML library installed on our devices? Is there a way that Blackmagic can check during the installation process whether the directml.dll library is installed and if not, do the necessary installation?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 6:14 pm

That file is provided in the Resolve installer. It should be located here:

Can you check and see?

If it is there, send a Resolve diagnostics log and a Windows System Information .NFO file.

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows Desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open the Windows System Information app and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

Turicum

PostWed Nov 01, 2023 5:52 pm

I’ve just checked the folder and see that the file directml.dll is not there.

I’ve also searched for it on the whole C: drive and couldn’t find it.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 5:26 pm

Using Windows Settings - Apps and features, uninstall DaVinci Resolve and run the 18.6.2 installer again, and see if the file appears.
Dwaine Maggart

stratos.bazz

PostFri Nov 03, 2023 1:36 pm

Hello, I have the same error, I am not so good with computers so if you can please help me, analyse the steps a bit more thank you

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 03, 2023 6:25 pm

Can you clarify what your exact error is? And we need the following info:

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

stratos.bazz

PostFri Nov 03, 2023 9:44 pm

I should make a file save in the System Information app of the logs?

Xenos1

PostMon Nov 06, 2023 1:57 pm

hi
I have the same issue with the DirectML
I' m sending a link with the nfo and log
I would be gratefull if you could help me

https://mab.to/t/M7i4NyzfjlZ/eu1

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 07, 2023 5:39 pm

@Στράτος: Yes

@Xenofon: Open Windows Settings - Apps & features and uninstall the DaVinci Resolve Control Panels app and see if that helps.
Dwaine Maggart

Xenos1

PostTue Nov 07, 2023 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I downloaded the dll file and copied it in the system32 folder and everything works fine.

Turicum

PostWed Nov 15, 2023 3:25 pm

@Dwaine Maggart: I've uninstalled DaVinci Resolve 18.6.2 and installed it again. The file is still missing and I get the same error message.

Since version 18.6.3 has been released, I've updated to this version. Again, the file is still missing. What can I do to get DaVinci Resolve running?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 6:16 pm

It's a Resolve Studio only file. I've verified that the Windows 18.6.3 Studio installer installs that file in C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

If you don't have it, my guess would be you have some antivirus or antimalware app that's preventing it from being installed.

Here's a link to the file if you'd like to try manually copying it into the folder above and see what happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yd3xb3rk ... cgz2l&dl=0
Dwaine Maggart

Turicum

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 8:57 am

Thank you very much for providing the file. Well, first of all, it works now!

If my antivirus software would detect a problematic file and prevent its installation, then usually I get an according error message since I have activated all alerts. And this was not the case.

A friend of mine is in a similar situation that he’s stuck on Windows 10 version 1803 (he also has a HP notebook and can not successfully install a Windows update) and he was so kind to install DaVinci Resolve 18.6.3 on his notebook. On his notebook, the DirectML.dll file is missing as well.

However, after copying the file that you provided to the DaVinci Resolve folder, the program nicely starts.

I have to mention that I have installed the free version of DaVinci Resolve for evaluation sine I have used Vegas Pro in the past and want to see if DaVinci Resolve can serve me with a better workflow. So far it looks quite promising and I can continue with my evaluation. Thank you very much!

Lesur Vivant

PostThu Jan 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Hi,
I have a similar problem. Da Vinci Resolve won't open after successful installation, withe error message saying that "DirectML.dll" file is missing. I tried to put the file you've shared by dropbox in C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve,
but then, when i try to relaunch the app, another error message says that the procedure entry point "d3d12serializeversionedrootsignature" could not be found in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\DirectML.dll
Also i'm using the 18.6.4 version of Resolve.

Here's my computer system information : https://we.tl/t-i9RUVNbrii
(there is only the NFO file and no log fila cause i couldn't make the CaptureLogs work (or can't find the file)
Do you think you can help ?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 19, 2024 10:07 pm

Resolve is not going to work with your GPU.

For NVIDIA GPU's, Resolve requires a GPU with CUDA Compute 3.5 or better support.

Your GT 620 GPU has 2.1 support.
Dwaine Maggart

KrowKraw

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 3:52 pm

Hi Mr.Maggart.
I downloaded the .dll file from the link you provided and manually added it to the program file folder of Davinci Resolve, and then tried to open the application.

The following error message came up
" The procedure entry point D3D12SerializeVersionedRootSignature could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\BlackmagicDesign\Davinci Resolve\DirectML.dll. "

Please help me resolve this. Windows - 10 pro.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:54 pm

and run CaptureLogs

Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve