Bug v19b - Exporting with effects on mute tracks/clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

Bug v19b - Exporting with effects on mute tracks/clips

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 1:27 pm

If you export audio only, if a muted track has any effect, it will slow down process (A LOT if there are multiple effects on it). Same thing if the effects are on the clip. (or video and audio, but it's very notable with audio because of the BIG slowdown).

I'm guessing Resolve is still processing the effects when it shouldn't (since the track is on mute).
How could they have missed this?

I very often bounce tracks with heavy effects, then mute the original track... but now I just realized that it wasn't my computer or Resolve just slowing down because of hours of editing and tons of programs opened and closed.
Last edited by Videoneth on Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Jim Simon

Re: Bug 18.6.3 - Exporting with effects on mute tracks/clips

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 5:19 pm

I am seeing some oddness here as well in Studio 18.6.3 on Windows 10. Adding Voice Isolation and Dialog Leveler to a Muted track had a definite impact on render speed, where I would expect to see none.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 1:05 am

Muted tracks do and should continue to process so you can instantaneously un-mute a track and re-mute.
It sounds like you would like a disable track feature which we currently don't have.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Videoneth

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 1:16 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Muted tracks do and should continue to process so you can instantaneously un-mute a track and re-mute.
It sounds like you would like a disable track feature which we currently don't have.

TL;DR to your last sentence - Yes (so if it needs to be a FR, this thread could be moved there?)

Well, that's not good or even logical because it's the same principle with video tracks.

I was mostly talking about the delivery page. It means that when an audio track or audio clip is deactivated or muted, Resolve shouldn't process the effects during the render process. Because that is my (our) intend, I'm on the delivery page, I want to render my file as quick as possible.

Mute or un-mute a track with voice isolation and dialogue leveler, for example, will still have a slight delay when it goes from on to off and vice versa (same with any other "heavy" effects).

My render time shouldn't be twice as long because I have a mute/deactivated audio track with all my effects on it. (I always bounce my tracks, and I keep the original tracks with the effects just in case I have to tweak something.) I say twice, but when using StoryToolKitAI (which renders only the audio), I go from 1700 "fps" (with my bounced track with no effects), to 200-300 if a keep my original audio track, but on mute.

I say that because I just tested deactivating (keyboard shortcut D) an audio clip. The effects are still processed (from the delivery page when I render anything). Only deleting the track, the clips, or the effects work (which is a pretty destructive way to work lol, and that's not good).

And it doesn't make sense to work that way on the edit page either.

If I have effects on a video and I go in the inspector during the playback to toggle an effect on and off for example, it will affect the playback anyway while I'm toggling between the two states.

Anyway, I really think this shouldn't happen, at least when using the Delivery page.

I guess it's not a "bug" per say, but maybe a poor implementation of something that is affecting other parts of Resolve.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Muted tracks do and should continue to process so you can instantaneously un-mute a track and re-mute.
That makes sense for playback, but not a render. We can't do anything during a render except wait for it to finish.

And the current design needlessly extends that wait. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Videoneth

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 4:32 pm

I just realized something now.

The playback is perfectly smooth when a track with effects is on mute on the edit page.
I have some 2 heavy effects with voice isolation on top of it, it's all fine... totally logical to not having these effects being processed because the track is on mute.

So yeah, make it work the same with the Deliver page :)
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Videoneth

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:15 pm

It's still doing that with 19 beta.

I had voice isolation on one track.
"bounce mix to track" to have the effect backed in.
I put the original track on mute.

I rendered the video; it was slower than what I was expecting.

I removed the voice isolation from the mute track.

When an audio track is on mute, Resolve shouldn't try to render any effect since it won't even be in the rendered file. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people don't know this thing is happening, and just think: Well, my computer is slower today.

Going from 2000fps to 400-600fps when there is just one audio track that has no effect on it (but 2-3 others on mute with the original effects) is pretty bad, especially when the rendering of audio only had a huge improvement with the speed.

Imagine if we had original video tracks with effects, overlays, fusion comps, etc., and we added, on top of all of it, a flattened version of all of it. Then, during the export, Resolve would just try to process the effects that can't be seen below.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

Return to DaVinci Resolve