Can't get Drop Shadow to work on Text since 18.6.4

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SotiCoto

Can't get Drop Shadow to work on Text since 18.6.4

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 9:10 pm

I updated the program in the middle of making a video, and the text I set before updating the program still has the drop-shadow as intended. But when I try to apply drop-shadow settings to text after updating, they're simply ignored and no shadow is visible.
It is a little troubling since I ALWAYS put drop-shadows on text so it is actually legible against the background.

Jim Simon

Re: Can't get Drop Shadow to work on Text since 18.6.4

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 pm

I'm not seeing any issues with a simple test of Text and Text+. Drop Shadow works properly in both.

Studio 18.6.4 on Windows 10.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SotiCoto

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 5:31 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I'm not seeing any issues with a simple test of Text and Text+. Drop Shadow works properly in both.

And how are you making it work?
I'm using a standard Text title, scrolling down to the Drop Shadow section (between Stroke and Background), setting both offsets to 1.00, the Blur to 30, and the Opacity to 100, but it isn't showing up. Doing that used to work fine before I updated, but it is explicitly not making the drop shadow appear for me now. Stroke and Background options still work fine for me, but not the Drop Shadow.
I've tried flipping the switch off and on. I've tried resetting the timers and othersuch things.
The ONLY thing I've managed to make work so far is copying a text box from one of my old pre-update videos when it worked, as copying it over seems to work fine. Just not making a new one.

I haven't tried Text+ since I don't really understand all the settings, but I guess I'll have to learn if I can't figure out why regular Text has stopped working right.

For that matter, is there any way to save a preset for the Text title? If I could save one of my old ones with a pre-activated drop-shadow as a preset them maybe I could bypass the problem.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 4:36 pm

SotiCoto wrote:And how are you making it work?
Just turning it on.

(Your settings work fine here.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 4:37 pm

SotiCoto wrote:is there any way to save a preset for the Text title?
Not so much a Preset, but you can drag a Text or Text+ into the bin for re-use.

Adding it to a Power Bin would make it available to all projects in the Library.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve