How to avoid errant "media offline" in color room?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

How to avoid errant "media offline" in color room?

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 am

I'm pretty sure this is a very common problem; media randomly shows Offline when in the Color room, especially when applying "presets" from grabbed stills. The solution is simply to roll the mouse over the Still thumbnails in the Stills Gallery, and the media appears again, but it's so annoying. And sometimes I'll find that it doesn't show Offline but the image stops responding to changes in the Color adjustments; again just a quick roll over the thumbnails fixes it. Obviously really tedious as well.

I couldn't find a conversation specifically to this as searches for "offline" all point to the far more serious actually-offline footage problems.

Is there a known solution to this?

Configuration in my sig; it's up to date.
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Peter Cave

Re: How to avoid errant "media offline" in color room?

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 am

I’m very sure that is a very uncommon issue. I have never seen that behaviour on any of the systems I have worked on, both Mac & Windows.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 5:28 pm

I have to agree with Peter on this one. I've never seen that myself, nor is it something that gets reported often here in the forums.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 11:10 pm

I have never seen that. You should check that your media storage is not subject to some power saving policy that puts it to sleep.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

hugh00

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:47 am

I also have this problem and it's extremely irritating, I haven't found a solution yet, but it has to be some issue with read/write permissions of the directory the Gallery is stored in.

PhotoJoseph

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:34 pm

Dang I somehow missed these responses.
Peter Cave wrote:I’m very sure that is a very uncommon issue. I have never seen that behaviour on any of the systems I have worked on, both Mac & Windows.

Jim Simon wrote:I have to agree with Peter on this one. I've never seen that myself, nor is it something that gets reported often here in the forums.

Huh… well I know I've heard about it elsewhere, because I learned elsewhere how to quickly "fix" it. Really surprised to hear this is not as common as I thought. I had the issue on my old Intel Mac Pro, and now on my M2Max Macbook Pro. I wonder if it has something to do with the UltraStudio 4K Mini since that's one of the few constants between the system.
Igor Riđanović wrote:I have never seen that. You should check that your media storage is not subject to some power saving policy that puts it to sleep.

Definitely not that.
hugh00 wrote:I also have this problem and it's extremely irritating, I haven't found a solution yet, but it has to be some issue with read/write permissions of the directory the Gallery is stored in.

See, I'm not crazy!! :D

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 3:03 am

PhotoJoseph wrote:I'm pretty sure this is a very common problem; media randomly shows Offline when in the Color room, especially when applying "presets" from grabbed stills. The solution is simply to roll the mouse over the Still thumbnails in the Stills Gallery, and the media appears again, but it's so annoying. And sometimes I'll find that it doesn't show Offline but the image stops responding to changes in the Color adjustments; again just a quick roll over the thumbnails fixes it. Obviously really tedious as well.

Let me try to understand this: are the Gallery Stills disappearing and becoming unlinked, or are the media clips in the timeline themselves become unlinked?

Check User Prefs -> System -> Media Storage and make sure that the drive listed at the top of the list is your Gallery Stills drive (or path), and that you have full read/write permissions enabled on that. The rest of the drives should have the rest of the media in your project, and full read/write permissions should also be enabled on those.

In addition, go to Project Settings -> Master Settings -> Working Folders, and make sure the correct drive/path is listed for Proxy, Cache, and Gallery Stills Location. The same cautions about permissions still hold.

What specific source media types are you using? We've seen some weirdness with Sonoma and H.264/H.265 files, but I don't have any concrete answers yet. With embedded timecode formats (Red Raw, Alexa Raw, BMD Raw, ProRes, DNxHR, etc.) it's usually fine. I have occasionally seen Gallery stills go stupid and go away just because the source drive temporarily went to sleep; exiting and relaunching Resolve usually solves that problem.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 9:18 am

Hey Marc, here's some more details.

Marc Wielage wrote:Let me try to understand this: are the Gallery Stills disappearing and becoming unlinked, or are the media clips in the timeline themselves become unlinked?

It's the media clips in the timeline (well, in the color grading window) that show offline, but aren't, because they immediately return as soon as I roll my mouse over a gallery still.

Marc Wielage wrote:Check User Prefs -> System -> Media Storage and make sure that the drive listed at the top of the list is your Gallery Stills drive (or path), and that you have full read/write permissions enabled on that. The rest of the drives should have the rest of the media in your project, and full read/write permissions should also be enabled on those.

The top location is my internal drive Movies folder. This is a laptop, so I have it there to ensure it's always available. That said, media is always stored on a Synology NAS, or more recently, on a Synology Drive sync (a local cache of a NAS), which is what you're seeing in the second line.

CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 11.06.36.jpg
Media Storage Locations
CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 11.06.36.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Marc Wielage wrote:In addition, go to Project Settings -> Master Settings -> Working Folders, and make sure the correct drive/path is listed for Proxy, Cache, and Gallery Stills Location. The same cautions about permissions still hold.

I have an NVMe RAID that I use as my scratch disk, so that's "Scratch" in the screenshot below. When I first checked this pane just now, the Cache location was simply "CacheClip" and not the full path you see here; probably because I was mobile yesterday. So I've reset that now, however I doubt that was the problem as that setting is checked pretty regularly.

CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 11.08.43.jpg
Working Folders
CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 11.08.43.jpg (51.96 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Marc Wielage wrote:What specific source media types are you using? We've seen some weirdness with Sonoma and H.264/H.265 files, but I don't have any concrete answers yet. With embedded timecode formats (Red Raw, Alexa Raw, BMD Raw, ProRes, DNxHR, etc.) it's usually fine. I have occasionally seen Gallery stills go stupid and go away just because the source drive temporarily went to sleep; exiting and relaunching Resolve usually solves that problem.

Mostly ProRes and Blackmagic RAW. Some H.264/H.265, and I am on Sonoma 14.2.1, but this problem goes back years.

I tried to recreate the issue while screen recording but of course didn't manage to, and I have to move on to other things now, but I will try to remember to screen cap next time I'm coloring so I can share that. I am starting to wonder if it only happens after I've grabbed some stills, since rolling over the stills is what fixes it -- I don't think I've ever had this happen and not had stills to roll over to fix it.

Cheers,
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Steve Alexander

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 10:36 am

Where are your gallery stills located? I would have expected them to be located in the first storage location by default (your user movies folder). Looks like you've customized them to a lengthy path. Does it matter to the issue you are having? I have no idea. Sorry.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 11:03 am

Steve Alexander wrote:Where are your gallery stills located? I would have expected them to be located in the first storage location by default (your user movies folder). Looks like you've customized them to a lengthy path. Does it matter to the issue you are having? I have no idea. Sorry.

This is a Cloud project, so when you first create the project, it asks where you want your "Project Media" to live. I use a consistent folder structure on the NAS for my projects, so I have a folder in every project called, in this case, "Project Media 20240324" that I point it to. (This screenshot is what you first get when you create a project, before assigning the location)

CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 13.00.58.jpg
Resolve Project Media Location
CleanShot 2024-04-05 at 13.00.58.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Steve Alexander

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 11:09 am

I'm an idiot, lol - sorry Joseph, I totally missed the fact that you are using cloud storage. I don't yet have any experience with cloud storage in Resolve - from others it sounds like it's not quite a fully developed feature.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

PhotoJoseph

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 am

Steve Alexander wrote:I'm an idiot, lol - sorry Joseph, I totally missed the fact that you are using cloud storage. I don't yet have any experience with cloud storage in Resolve - from others it sounds like it's not quite a fully developed feature.

Actually this issue predates that. And it's a cloud project, not necessarily cloud storage (although I have been experimenting with that, and it's really good). I don't believe this has anything to do with the Cloud library, which has now been around for two years, so really isn't all that new.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Steve Alexander

PostFri Apr 05, 2024 4:54 pm

It's amazing it's been around that long. Still seems unrefined but perhaps that's old news. As I mentioned, I haven't tried it yet. I just don't understand why your setup is showing offline clips in the color room. Sorry.
Time Traveller

Return to DaVinci Resolve