Freeze on project manager at startup - with solution

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thofor

Freeze on project manager at startup - with solution

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 7:41 am

My Resolve installation has worked fine, but suddenly it froze at project manager on startup. Windows offered to wait or close application since it was responsive. I found some posts here on issues with corporate VPN's, that I also am on, but no real solution. I checked the log files and found a reference to a Python error. What have happened was that my Python installation was corrupted. After reinstallation of Python, Resolve works fine.

Andy Bay

Re: Freeze on project manager at startup - with solution

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 9:36 pm

Thank you very much!

I just had the same issue where the project manager would hang, reboots didn't help, disconnecting USB devices didn't help, but uninstalling Python fixed the problem immediately!

Vince Anido

Re: Freeze on project manager at startup - with solution

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm

This took me forever to solve so I'm posting here and a few other threads for anyone else who's having this issue, but cannot live without Python.

The issue seems to be installing a new version of Python on a system after Davinci Resolve is installed. The application seems to remember across installations which version of Python it originally was linked to, so it continues to try to access that, but something goes wrong with the environment variables so everything breaks, and you hang at the projects screen.

Another symptom is seeing this error below in your debug logs:
Code: Select all
Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding
Python runtime state: core initialized
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

To fix the issue on Windows, go to your System Environment Variables and add a new System variable name: "PYTHONHOME". The Variable value should be the directory of the newest version of Python you have installed. Eg: C:\Python311\

This seems to fix the Python versioning/home directory issue Resolve has and allows the application to start correctly.

Return to DaVinci Resolve