Alternate takes in a timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

barosky

Alternate takes in a timeline

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 pm

What is the most efficient way to look at alternate takes of a performance within a timeline of an edit? Jumping between different timelines?? I'm trying to judge the performance of a shot with many takes within a scene that is for the most part already edited together. Thanks.

Ryan Bloomer

Re: Alternate takes in a timeline

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:26 pm

There's a great feature in the Edit page "Take Selector" for this type of work. It's pretty straight forward once you get the basics.

Chadwick did a great overview of this on his youtube channel.

barosky

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:59 pm

Thanks for the info, however when I try dragging the clip from the source monitor onto the expanded clip I get an error message stating "No video clips found". Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

barosky

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 11:29 pm

Update: It's now working (cockpit error?) Question : Does the audio get imported as well?

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm

I don't believe so. Unless someone else can chime in, it might make more sense to multicam the takes, so you can easily switch between takes simultaneously with the audio.

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 4:52 am

prime suspect pilot in nyc
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582456/?r ... g_t_47_prd

sc 61-62

car stuff, 3 arri cameras hand held (operators sitting on apple boxes) on process trailer. slates for shots with cameras no. 1, 2, 3. Multiple takes. Jump to rooftop, 3 arri cameras hand held. The so called video camera is the arri cameras ( 1,2,3, slated again). I turned it b&w with video overlay to imitate a video camera. when crew or other cameras got into shot I used static effect to cut ( like as if the video cam guy was turning camera off and on ).

I started putting all takes somewhere around vid level 5 and started scrubbing through the takes. When I got what I wanted or what I had to accept I made hard cuts to get rid of head and tail ( was moving stuff around fast and don't like accidentally expanding or contracting clips). I would move the take I wanted down to vid level 4 and also a copy UP to vid level 6. level 6 was a good way to see quickly what I have chosen ( used ). I left the lower vid levels clear so I could stack clips and manually do fade in and out etc. later on as I don't like the auto stuff.

This took an amazingly long time even though I knew what was up cause I was the dolly grip on this job. I am not a pro editor and if I had to do editing for a living I would end up jumping off the brooklyn bridge. I have no clue how they do what they do so quickly.

I discovered that you HAVE to make cuts sometimes due to what you got to work with, rather than always being able to do exactly what you want. It just doesn't work out that way. Some actor messes up a line, and you have to figure out what to do ( maybe first part of take is good and the next take the line is now OK... you have to work with what you got, not what you wish you had.)

I found that putting the stuff used up as a copy made it easy for me to keep track of where I was ( what was used )... and the rest is just slogging through it ...

I won't keep the video up a long time due to copyright issues.

good luck

Return to DaVinci Resolve