ease in and out of two clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ISOCAPxyz

ease in and out of two clips

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 3:09 pm

I have two clips in the timeline.
The 2nd clip I have reversed so that the entire video is looped.

What is the best way to ease in and out of the clips so that the loop feels more natural?

Thanks

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

Re: ease in and out of two clips

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 6:05 pm

I don't know what you mean. What I imagine is that I have a clip of a car driving up to a wall, and then I put the same clip reversed after that so car is now driving backwards from wall... and you want to make it smooth transition ? So really you have one clip on timeline and the duplicate is reversed, if what I see in my head is what you really mean.
Otherwise I don't see any problem with just doing a fade in and out ( cross dissolve) to go from one to the other. maybe you can make in out markers and just export the transitional part you're concerned with and share that with people so they get a better idea what you want to do

panos_mts

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 7:38 pm

Here is an example GIF showing a way to do this. I don't know if it's the best way though.
At the beginning I have 2 clips just to show the difference between a sudden reversal and a smooth reversal.

franciscovaldez

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 7:59 pm

panos_mts wrote:Here is an example GIF showing a way to do this. I don't know if it's the best way though.
At the beginning I have 2 clips just to show the difference between a sudden reversal and a smooth reversal.

Nice
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

ISOCAPxyz

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 11:07 am

robodog1 wrote:I don't know what you mean. What I imagine is that I have a clip of a car driving up to a wall, and then I put the same clip reversed after that so car is now driving backwards from wall... and you want to make it smooth transition ?

Yes that's exactly it, so when it gets to the end of the 1st clip it slows down/smooths out so there is not such a sharp change when the clip reverses.

panos_mts wrote:Here is an example GIF showing a way to do this. I don't know if it's the best way though.
At the beginning, I have 2 clips just to show the difference between a sudden reversal and a smooth reversal.

Thanks so much the GIF is very helpful.

ISOCAPxyz

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 2:59 pm

I have now tried it out and it works perfectly. Many thanks.

robodog1

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 4:12 pm

I tried it too, and it's very cool. Will play around with it on and off as time allows as I figure there's even more that can be done with the speed and duration and so on...
Thanks, it's fun to learn new stuff.
: )

robodog1

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 4:19 pm

In a dramatic production I can imagine this sorta thing::

A person (character) has experienced a shocking occurrence ( mass shooting, someone hurt nearby within reach of your help if only you KNEW what was going to happen, etc. ) and you ( the character) keep replaying it in your mind...what happened.... know what I mean ??

robodog1

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 4:25 pm

the title of thread is misleading and I feel this could be really important to users if a better title were chosen, but I have no clue what that would be ....

ISOCAPxyz

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 8:50 am

At the beginning, I have 2 clips just to show the difference between a sudden reversal and a smooth reversal.

When I use this method using the "Realtime Curve" to smooth out the transition I loose part of the clip before it reverses. Am I missing a step?
See video example...

ISOCAPxyz

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 9:57 am

ISOCAPxyz wrote:

When I use this method using the "Realtime Curve" to smooth out the transition I loose part of the clip before it reverses. Am I missing a step?
See video example...

https://i.imgur.com/Dfo0g3M.mp4

olivier ferrand

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm

hi panos,

thank you very much for your solution.
is there a way you could describe in a few words the different steps you're taking, especially between using 2 clips and then the one clip? i can't figure it out from the video...

Return to DaVinci Resolve