Blackmagic cloud and Google Drive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

vinniemac

Blackmagic cloud and Google Drive

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 2:50 pm

Newbie here with DVR Blackmagic Cloud and trying to get my head around managing disk space while keeping a project available for editing on different devices. I've been playing around with settings and don't know if I messed things up. I managed to fill up the 2GB free space just with DVR syncing proxies, so deleted everything and started again, this time with Don't Sync Media selected in the Project settings. However, it looks as though DVR has reuploaded the proxies.
So my question is whether I can use Google Drive to store proxies so that they are available on multiple devices. And if so, how do I move them and get my different installations of DVR to point to the right location?
Thanks in advance for any help

Ryan Bloomer

Re: Blackmagic cloud and Google Drive

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 12:12 pm

In your project settings, make sure you have your proxy generation set to your google drive in the Master Settings, as well as your Blackmagic Cloud settings are set to "Don't sync media" And you also have "Multi User Collaboration" turned on. Make sure your "project media location" is on a local disk, not on shared storage.

Allowing Blackmagic to automatically create proxies and manually creating proxies has in the past created different results, but I think that's been addressed in new updates as I haven't had to deal with it in a while.

To test this is working now, only create one proxy to ensure your settings are correct.

Select your media in the media pool and select "Generate Proxy media" This will create a proxy file in the location set in the Project settings (ie. Google Drive) As long as you have shared folders with the other user they will have access to this proxy file. (I've only used Google File Stream for Business, so i'm not entirely sure how this works with non Business accounts)

Hope that helps.

vinniemac

Re: Blackmagic cloud and Google Drive

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 5:41 pm

Thanks Ryan. Apologies for the slow reply - I've been travelling for the last week or so. I've tried everything, including starting a new test project, but can't get DVR on my MacBook to see the proxies created on my Mac mini, or vice versa. I did notice that if I look at the project on my iPad Pro, that all cloud storage options are greyed out, so now wondering if there's some limitation on using non Blackmagic cloud storage for the files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve