Color data not being properly encoded

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
tentonnetongue

Color data not being properly encoded

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 6:06 pm

When editing in the Color tab, what noise there gets exaggerated on export. On playback and in editing, as you can see in the example it looks fine compared with the export version.

In filming, I am using low ISO, aperture, and high shutter-speed relative to the available lighting (on purpose) which resulted with a significantly lower volume of luminance data.

I just don't understand why if I'm looking at the image on my screen editing it with no obvious artifacts then when I export the file is essentially destroyed.

Troubleshooting:
I thought perhaps it was because I was taking a 60fps video and using it in a 23.976 project but exporting it from a 60fps project doesn't solve the problem.

Tried re-enabling the other RGB channel groupings to no effect on export.

Export settings:
Version 18.5
Quicktime, H.264 - Native
1920 x 1080
23.976fps
Auto 'Best' quality
Attachments
example 3.png
example 3.png (78.54 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Last edited by tentonnetongue on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

roger.magnusson

Re: Color data not being properly encoded

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 6:29 pm

One way which the preview in Resolve and rendered files might differ is that by default, Preferences > User tab > Playback Settings > Performace mode is enabled. Performance mode will degrade the preview image processing if needed to provide smooth playback. It doesn't affect rendered files.

You could try disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

tentonnetongue

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Preferences > User tab > Playback Settings > Performace mode

Didn't make a difference.

tentonnetongue

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 pm

Update:
I now realize it doesn't have to do with the file nor the origin. It does seem there appears to be a connection with luminance detail.

When editing in the Color tab, what noise there gets exaggerated on export. On playback and in editing, as you can see in the example it looks fine compared with the export version.

In filming, I am using low ISO, aperture, and high shutter-speed relative to the available lighting (on purpose) which resulted with a significantly lower volume of luminance data.

I just don't understand why if I'm looking at the image on my screen editing it with no obvious artifacts then when I export the file is essentially destroyed.

tentonnetongue

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 pm

Here's another example.

I am performing a red pass - only the red channel of the red group is on - yet on export cyan is added in and so are some obvious white and black artifacts as well.
Attachments
red pass - export.png
red pass - export.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 585 times

tentonnetongue

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:56 pm

Green pass adds magenta.

I literally just did this the other day and had none of these issues.

The real issue here is that the export does not look the same as Davinci Resolve. You can see it immediately upon clicking 'Render' when the preview image appears. It looks just as the export, with artifacts and added color noise.

All the footage from the other scene looked fantastic and had no visible differences between the export and what I was seeing inside Resolve.
Attachments
green pass.png
green pass.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Last edited by tentonnetongue on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:10 pm

Is the issue still there if you export using a mezzanine codec like DNxHR, ProRes or CineForm instead of H.264?

What hardware are you running Resolve on?

tentonnetongue

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:14 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:mezzanine codec
hardware

It's okay if you don't know the solution. I appreciate your help.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:22 pm

Well I asked about hardware because users with computers that don't fulfill the minimum requirements for DaVinci Resolve have reported artefacts in rendered files.

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:38 am

And he asked about trying a mezzanine codec, since the heavy compression of H.264 can worsen hidden noise.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

tentonnetongue

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 1:54 am

Uli Plank wrote:heavy compression of H.264 can worsen hidden noise.

If at all, I'm sure it's negligible to me, a noob, by all your fancy expertise eyes and monitors.

Do you know what a green pass is? Try it on your footage and tell me what you get. Try it on a 1080p HD image. Just run only the channel of one of the RGB groupings, just the red of the Red channel, for example and render it. Just sample a little square.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the data volume of the cameras I used. The thing is, I did it with footage from the same cameras earlier without issue and suddenly I'm getting back these reverse-color noisy images.

Peter Cave

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 2:10 am

It sounds like some kind of codec issue. Render to a different format as previously suggested and ignore the red/green channel renders as they are meaningless in this context. Also if you upload a Resolve project file someone can take a look at it for you and see if there are any obvious issues with it.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

roger.magnusson

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am

Now that the images in this thread have been changed, it looks to me like the first image in the first post was made using a low timeline proxy resolution and the render uses full resolution. That doesn't explain the red image but there can of course be multiple issues.

tentonnetongue

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 pm

I know just from reading what you're suggesting that it won't work. I'm not a complete noob.

Regardless, I ended up just doing multiple passes to manage the expanded noise. It worked out fine.

Thanks for your attempts.

tentonnetongue

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 7:24 pm

I realized I can pass everything using the Qualifier but also still use the exposure faders to adjust everything.

tentonnetongue wrote:When editing in the Color tab, what noise there gets exaggerated on export. On playback and in editing, as you can see in the example it looks fine compared with the export version.

Troubleshooting:
I thought perhaps it was because I was taking a 60fps video and using it in a 23.976 project but exporting it from a 60fps project doesn't solve the problem.

Tried re-enabling the other RGB channel groupings to no effect on export.

Export settings:
Version 18.5
Quicktime, H.264 - Native
1920 x 1080
23.976fps
Auto 'Best' quality

tentonnetongue

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:27 pm

It's entirely possible that Davinci Resolve can not export zero values on the RGB group.

All I need to do is pass it in the Color tab and all the weird noise disappears. I think there needs to be something there in order for the file to render properly. I can just turn them off in the RGB Mixer.

Return to DaVinci Resolve