Simple Conversions of DNGs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

johnson322

Simple Conversions of DNGs

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:54 pm

Hello,

I am trying to use Resolve to convert Cinema DNG files from a DJI camera to ACES (APO).

Resolve's color management controls are very different from the tools I am used to. I am a VFX artist with 20 years of experience using Foundry's Nuke with a heavy focus on color science. I understand all the underlying color science, but I don't understand how Resolve works. It's very much a black box of "user friendly," controls compared to the almost mathematical approach Nuke uses.

There seem to be many options between the project and export settings, but the differences in the output don't seem to reflect the changes I am making.

Can anyone help me with a detailed explanation of what settings I'd need to ensure a linear ACES(AP0) EXR output?

johnson322

Re: Simple Conversions of DNGs

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm

My more specific question is, does Resolve maintain the linearity of the DNG raw file when it debayers, or is it affected by any metadata settings in the DNG that would, for instance, apply a D-Log/D-Gamut conversion upon import? Changing the input colorspace in the custom managed settings doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.

Meaning do I need to do a D-Log to linear conversion with a colorspace node?

Return to DaVinci Resolve