Stabilisation not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mateobuns

Stabilisation not working

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:44 pm

Good morning,
I'm sending you a message because it seems that I have a problem with the stabilization on Davinci Resolve.
Indeed, when I try to activate the option, the image is cropped, but is in no way stabilized (or even less than at the base). I tried the different types of zooms, activating or not the "camera lock", trying to create a compound or fusion clip, on a retime shot or not, activate the proxies, original camera or deactivate the proxies but nothing helps. This affects an entire project, not a single shot or timeline. I also tried to create another project and copy and paste my plans but the same, it's as if they were contaminated.

The software is up to date, the MacOS too and what's even more incomprehensible is that my colleague who works with me, in the same accommodation, with almost the same hardware (a well-boosted MacBook Pro M2 Max), has not this anomaly when I send him the projects. Indeed, he normally manages to stabilize all plans. We checked the davinci settings, project settings, and everything is the same.
As for the camera, we film with a RED KOMODO in 6144 x 3240, and in 24fps. The codec is r3d.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English I'm French lol :D

totalvamp

Re: Stabilisation not working

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 7:44 pm

I have the same issue, my footage is just slightly moving but any stabilization i do makes it much worse and has jumps an glitches all over

My footage is 4k 60fps of dancing, but the bass make the camera shake a little bit.
System:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
64GB Trident Z 2933Mhz
RTX 3090

Tony359

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 7:55 pm

The stabilisation has been glitchy particularly if you apply it in batches (selecting many clips and then stabilising) or if you change the clip (the length for example) after it's been stabilised.

When that happens my workaround is to apply another type of stabilisation and then go back to the stabilisation you wanted in the first place.

Does that help?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
Ryzen 5700X - 32GB RAM - 1.5TB Sata SSD - RTX 3070 8GB
Windows 10 22H2

mateobuns

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 8:10 pm

yes i know that but same if i change type of stabilisation. And, when i do, it's on 1 clip, not on a group of clips...

Tony359 wrote:The stabilisation has been glitchy particularly if you apply it in batches (selecting many clips and then stabilising) or if you change the clip (the length for example) after it's been stabilised.

When that happens my workaround is to apply another type of stabilisation and then go back to the stabilisation you wanted in the first place.

Does that help?

Tony359

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 9:11 pm

but does that work on that one clip?
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 build 6
Ryzen 5700X - 32GB RAM - 1.5TB Sata SSD - RTX 3070 8GB
Windows 10 22H2

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:54 pm

Are you allowed to share a problem clip for testing, Matéo?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:55 pm

totalvamp wrote:the bass make the camera shake a little bit.
I would be surprised if Stabilization could correct that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve