Trouble Rendering in Latest Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

shikawkee

Trouble Rendering in Latest Resolve

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 6:56 pm

Hey gang, here's what I've done so far (I'm pretty much a video newb so forgive me, I'm normally an audio professional):

Resolve was working fine until about a month ago when it would crash every time it rendered a video. No render would finish but some would get closer and closer when I rebooted the program. I thought it would get better with the new update but it only worked once then crashed again and again. I watched several videos on YouTube and took various steps (turning off updates during rendering, changing render speed, etc.) to no avail so I reckoned it was incompatibility with my graphics driver. This was pretty much confirmed with an email exchange with support at Blackmagic who suggested a studio driver. However, the recommended driver they suggested is incompatible with my unit. A friend suggested uninstalling GE Force and the current NVDIA game driver driver for my Windows 11 machine (551.86 I believe) and it would install an old driver automatically on restart which it did (from 2020 no less). Problem is, I'm unable to get any studio driver to install on my machine, only game drivers.

Does anyone know a workaround to allow my machine to install studio drivers? I'm hoping that will work but I must admit, it's getting pretty frustrating at this juncture. Maybe my video card (NVDIA Ge Force GT 1030) only allows game drivers??? Like I said, even with the game driver it did work until the last two Windows updates. The computer is less than a year old and very, very powerful (custom built for audio).

Thanks much.

shikawkee

Re: Trouble Rendering in Latest Resolve

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 pm

Some more info (I've been nerding out on this):

Apparently, the GT1030 card isn't really high-performance for video and doesn't allow studio drivers, just game drivers so there's that. However, it was working with my old game drivers until the last two Windows updates corresponding with the last Resolve update (and possibly the one before) even though Blackmagic doesn't recommend game drivers at all for their product. I went back and grabbed the oldest drivers available from NVDIA for my product (18 months old) and did a test but still got rendering failure. This tells me my previous drivers were older than 18 months (I mentioned when I deleted them it rebooted to 2020 drivers even though the computer is less than 2 years old). Possibly my drivers were from earlier than 2023. Or maybe I just got lucky the last 18 months. Anyhow, this results in Resolve no longer working on my desktop.

If anyone has any other tips or advice I'm all ears.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 pm

The GT1030 only has 2GB of VRAM. It won't support hardware accelerated H.264/265 decoding or encoding. It almost certainly won't support anything above an HD resolution timeline and not much in the way of higher than HD resolution media.

If you could generate a Resolve log after a render crash, by restarting Resolve after the crash, and selecting the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop, and put that on file sharing site and provide a link, it might have a clue as to what's causing the crash.

If you do the above, also open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create a .NFO file and send that as well.

And it would likely be helpful if you sent a project export .drp of the project that crashed during the render.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

shikawkee

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:50 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The GT1030 only has 2GB of VRAM. It won't support hardware accelerated H.264/265 decoding or encoding. It almost certainly won't support anything above an HD resolution timeline and not much in the way of higher than HD resolution media.

If you could generate a Resolve log after a render crash, by restarting Resolve after the crash, and selecting the Resolve Help menu: Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop, and put that on file sharing site and provide a link, it might have a clue as to what's causing the crash.

If you do the above, also open the Windows System Information app and select its File - Save menu to create a .NFO file and send that as well.

And it would likely be helpful if you sent a project export .drp of the project that crashed during the render.

Seems I'm not allowed/approved to post a URL/Dropbox link to those files here but if there's another, approved way to share please advise. I have them ready. Thanks.
Last edited by shikawkee on Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 pm

This is a link to the current GTX 1030 driver on the Nvidia website.
https://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/223507/en-uk
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

shikawkee

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:25 pm

[quote="Charles Bennett"]This is a link to the current GTX 1030 driver on the Nvidia website.
/quote]

Thanks, yeah, I got that but it won't work with the current Resolve on my computer. Used to, but not anymore.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

This is how to create Log and NFO files and post a link to them.
Attachments
Log and NFO Information.JPG
Log and NFO Information.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Let's see if this works:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/2n35y4cc ... eksbh&dl=0

Diagnostic files are there. Hope they are useful..

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Your NFO file is not working. Please make that again. And after you make it, double click it and verify it opens in the System Information app.

I can't tell from the logs why it's crashing. On Windows, there would normally be a .dmp file generated after a crash. But I don't see any of those in your diagnostics log. These are often quite large (300 to 600 MB) so I just want to make sure you are not deleting those before you made the log? We only keep 1 or 2 of the latest since they are so large. They would normally be in this path on your system:

C:\Users\Pro Tools PC\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\logs\LogArchive

Can you provide project export .drps for the Tik Tok 3 and 4 projects?
Dwaine Maggart

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your NFO file is not working. Please make that again. And after you make it, double click it and verify it opens in the System Information app.

I can't tell from the logs why it's crashing. On Windows, there would normally be a .dmp file generated after a crash. But I don't see any of those in your diagnostics log. These are often quite large (300 to 600 MB) so I just want to make sure you are not deleting those before you made the log? We only keep 1 or 2 of the latest since they are so large. They would normally be in this path on your system:

C:\Users\Pro Tools PC\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\logs\LogArchive

Export .drps? You mean, part what actually did render? I deleted those but could try bouncing another if it's useful.

Here's the new system NFO file: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ueuak2vp ... 0qrr8&dl=0

Or another today as well: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/118hayv8 ... z0kza&dl=0

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Your NFO file is not working. Please make that again. And after you make it, double click it and verify it opens in the System Information app.

New sub folder within the original folder. New crash report from Resolve and 10% of what rendered from my project (TikTok 4 but was actually for YouTube):

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/o1sfjtq9 ... loiao&dl=0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Project export drp is a copy of your project.

In the Resolve Project Manager page, right click the project and select Export Project.

That will create a .drp file. You can Import that .drp into another Resolve system to see the project.
Dwaine Maggart

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Project export drp is a copy of your project.

In the Resolve Project Manager page, right click the project and select Export Project.

That will create a .drp file. You can Import that .drp into another Resolve system to see the project.

Gotcha', TikTok 3, 4, system NFO and new crash file (from TikTok 4 today) added to this folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/o1sfjtq9 ... loiao&dl=0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 pm

It appears the crash is occurring in this code:

mfh264enc

And it appears you are rendering to H.264 MP4.

If you select QuickTime H.264, does that crash when you try to render?

If it does, what about DNxHR - DNxHR LB?

The mfh264enc is provided from the Windows mfh264enc.dll file (not from the Resolve installer), and according to your NFO, your version is from Windows 11 22H2 and is dated 5-27-2022.

Looking on my Windows 11 23H2 system, it seems to have the same version of the file with the same date. Apparently hasn't been updated in a while. It's file description in File Properties is Media Foundation H264 Encoder.

I installed free Resolve 18.6.6 on my Win11 system with an NVIDIA GPU and tested an MP4 H264 render, just to verify that mfh264enc.dll can work and it did. So it doesn't seem like the version of that on your system is an issue.

Do you have any other apps open on your system which might be using that?
Dwaine Maggart

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:It appears the crash is occurring in this code:

mfh264enc

And it appears you are rendering to H.264 MP4.

If you select QuickTime H.264, does that crash when you try to render?

If it does, what about DNxHR - DNxHR LB?

The mfh264enc is provided from the Windows mfh264enc.dll file (not from the Resolve installer), and according to your NFO, your version is from Windows 11 22H2 and is dated 5-27-2022.

Looking on my Windows 11 23H2 system, it seems to have the same version of the file with the same date. Apparently hasn't been updated in a while. It's file description in File Properties is Media Foundation H264 Encoder.

I installed free Resolve 18.6.6 on my Win11 system with an NVIDIA GPU and tested an MP4 H264 render, just to verify that mfh264enc.dll can work and it did. So it doesn't seem like the version of that on your system is an issue.

Do you have any other apps open on your system which might be using that?

I will try the QuickTime render next time. I usually choose the YouTube icon because I post there and TikTok mostly.

I don't believe there are any other apps open. Not that I use or can see.

It could be the game driver instead of studio driver though. My desktop and the GT1030 card won't allow studio driver install. It's not available. I tried the same install on my laptop (different video card) and it works with the latest NVDIA drivers set to studio drivers. At least at first render so far. Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 pm

The GPU is not involved in rendering with free Resolve. That's why its using the Windows Media Foundation encoder. I don't believe your GPU or driver have anything to do with this issue.

And I would guess that if you do a QuickTime H.264 render, it will still use this same file. But perhaps in a different fashion. If I had to bet, I'd bet it will crash as well.

And in that case, please try a codec that is not H.264/H.265 related to see what that does.
Dwaine Maggart

shikawkee

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The GPU is not involved in rendering with free Resolve. That's why its using the Windows Media Foundation encoder. I don't believe your GPU or driver have anything to do with this issue.

And I would guess that if you do a QuickTime H.264 render, it will still use this same file. But perhaps in a different fashion. If I had to bet, I'd bet it will crash as well.

And in that case, please try a codec that is not H.264/H.265 related to see what that does.

Gotcha', thanks much. I will try a few formats tonight and tomorrow and we'll see. 'Preciate it.

shikawkee

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The GPU is not involved in rendering with free Resolve. That's why its using the Windows Media Foundation encoder. I don't believe your GPU or driver have anything to do with this issue.

QuickTime did indeed crash during rendering but AVI/GoPro Cineform rendered fully if that means anything.

shikawkee

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm

And FWIW, I changed all the audio plugins I was using to more solid, code-stable ones to no avail. Anything H.264 or H.265 still crashes so it's not that. Was worth trying. I reckon I could bounce AVI but then I'd have to convert after bounce for YouTube, etc.? Would that even work?

Return to DaVinci Resolve