MP3 Import not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MiriamForys

MP3 Import not working

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:38 pm

Hello,

just in the middle of setting up my smart bins, DaVinci stopped importing mp3 files. Those are legit mp3 files from YouTube audio library. I installed the newest version and it doesn't work. I tried converting and renaming the files and it still isn't working.

Thanks for helping
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240327-222821.zip
(353.58 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
[Windows 10 Pro • Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz • 32GB RAM • Nvidia GTX 1660 Super • Resolve Studio 18.6.6]

Reynaud Venter

Re: MP3 Import not working

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Please indicate Resolve version and operating system. Consider including a system spec in your signature.

Is this issue specific to the YouTube Audio Library media or MP3 files in general?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

The log file says you are trying to import a compressed wave file format.
The „Wallah saftig.wav“ - is it possible you downloaded MP3s and just renamed their file extension from MP3 to WAV?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

MiriamForys

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Robert Niessner wrote:The log file says you are trying to import a compressed wave file format.
The „Wallah saftig.wav“ - is it possible you downloaded MP3s and just renamed their file extension from MP3 to WAV?

Yes, this is one of the files I converted. I tried many different file types and also renaming because in some video they said it was going to work, but none of it did.
Last edited by MiriamForys on Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Windows 10 Pro • Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz • 32GB RAM • Nvidia GTX 1660 Super • Resolve Studio 18.6.6]

MiriamForys

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:Please indicate Resolve version and operating system. Consider including a system spec in your signature.

Is this issue specific to the YouTube Audio Library media or MP3 files in general?

Its the newest version, so 18.6.6 for Windows.
Specs: Windows 10 Pro • Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz • 32GB RAM • Nvidia GTX 1660 Super • Resolve Studio 18.6.6

No, I have imported other YouTube library music that worked just fine. I'll attach another report "Caverns - Bad Snacks.mp3" and "Blue Boi - Lakey Inspired.mp3" (from the library) worked, everything else did not.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240328-104028.zip
(292.92 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

BabaJaga wrote:DaVinci stopped importing...
Whenever that happens, here's a test you can run.

Go to the Media Page. Use the Media Storage panel in the upper left to navigate to the files you want to import.

If they don't show up, it's because Resolve can't use them.

If they do show up, select them, right click, Add into Media Pool.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

BabaJaga wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:The log file says you are trying to import a compressed wave file format.

Yes, this is one of the files I converted. I tried many different file types and also renaming because in some video they said it was going to work, but none of it did.

Better make sure any YTuber you listen to is really competent. I've heard many of them talking like they know what they are doing, but in reality aren't - they were just parroting.

You cannot change a file type but just changing its file extension. That is not how this works. Don't do it.
The only reason ever to change the file extension is when it got a wrong one.

I have looked into your latest logs, but unfortunately they do not show any errors.

1. What kind of error message do you get while trying to import the problematic files?
2. You wrote that you tried to convert your files. How did you convert and into which format did you convert?
3. Is it possible that the downloads did not finish and some of the MP3 files are broken (like they end intermittently when you play them in an audio player)?
4. You wrote you tried to import into smart bins. Can you import in a regular bin?
5. Can you upload 2 problematic files and 1 working file to WeTransfer and post the link here for us to examine?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

BloodMan

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:The only reason ever to change the file extension is when it got a wrong one.

yyy... nope ;p
I saw many times when MP4 file (from unknown-name-for-me video converter for Mac) crash the player, and after changing file extension from .mp4 to .dv everything is working fine. Really.
(I know why, but it just proves that some software works differently depending on the extension and not just the content)
Win10Pro, i9-14900K, RTX-4090, 96GB, no-OC, watercooled on ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A
Always newest DaVinci Resolve (Studio not yet, I'm still learning before I switch).

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:15 pm

I thought macs didn't really use the file extension for anything. It was just part of the file name, and changing it would essentially be like any other rename operation.

No?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:50 pm

No.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

BloodMan

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 5:45 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I thought macs didn't really use the file extension for anything.
I wrote too many details completely unnecessarily - now I have to write even more to explain it. The MP4 file was made on Mac, played on VLC under Windows. With the .mp4 extension it caused VLC to close at some points (always in the same place for a specific file), after changing the extension to .dv everything was OK, always.
(it was an error of missing image frames, or corrupted, when there was an audio track or missing audio when there were image frames - classic muxing holes)
Win10Pro, i9-14900K, RTX-4090, 96GB, no-OC, watercooled on ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-A
Always newest DaVinci Resolve (Studio not yet, I'm still learning before I switch).

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:No.
So you guys need extensions? They're really not superfluous?

If you have a JPEG image without any extension, it won't work?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Uli Plank

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 am

Don't generalise.
A JPEG, PDF, or PNG is recognised, whatever the ending. They are even recognised if you give them the wrong one. But there are some tricks with older video formats, where you can make codecs available that seem to be incompatible at first view.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 2:51 pm

Got it.

Thanks.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve