How to correct this? Why does this happen?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

naviajoana

How to correct this? Why does this happen?

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 am

When I export vídeos on Da Vinci, sometimes this happens and I don’t know why.
Can you see the strange lines in the image? Like something does not suport the quality, I don’t know.

Can someone help me?

Thank you so much!!!
Attachments
IMG_4874.jpeg
IMG_4874.jpeg (209.65 KiB) Viewed 387 times

Leslie Wand

Re: How to correct this? Why does this happen?

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

called banding. google it.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

CougerJoe

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

probably 8bit footage, might look like that in the original or you've brought out the banding via colour grading.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

naviajoana wrote:Can someone help me?
Assuming the issue is not because of low quality footage, any 10 bit (or higher) export option should help.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

naviajoana wrote:When I export vídeos on Da Vinci, sometimes this happens and I don’t know why.
Can you see the strange lines in the image? Like something does not suport the quality, I don’t know.

Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O)? What specific version of Resolve? What OS? What source file codec? What timeline settings (res and fps)? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? How is the drive formatted and connected? Which GPU drivers are installed? What format are you trying to render to?

A lot of people seem to be working with 8-bit, Long-GOP H.264 material these days, and it's not a good format for post in a lot of ways. 8 bits are not enough to capture a wide range of color and B&W information, and you tend to run into "banding" and other problems as a result. Better cameras will shoot in 10-bit or even 12-bit color depth, and you get a lot more dynamic range and more information to work with that way.

There is an OFX DeBand plug-in you might try and see if that helps, if you're seeing horizontal lines or bad gradations in your exports.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am

In the end it boils down to the old GIGO rule: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_in,_garbage_out

H.264 in 8 bit offers very limited flexibility in grading. Shoot a camera profile you like, expose carefully and get the color temperature right. If you don't like what comes out of your camera, there's little hope to 'fix it in post'.

Finally, YT makes things even worse.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve